Thread: Trying to understand view organization

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Trying to understand view organization

I drew a site plan in Revit 2023. Then later a floor plan. And I am not real clear on how to arrange the views to display properly.
    The floor plan does not show up in my elevations, or within my property lines, because I guess it is not within the elevation arrows in the view.
    However, I thought if I went to visibility graphics, annotation categories, and checked elevations, I would be able to see and orient the floor plan to the right spot. But the Elevations box is checked and I am unable to see the elevation markers in the view?
    So, forgive me if I do not know the correct terminologies, but the colored arrow in the site plan is a long ways away from the elevation markers. Is that relevant?
    I see that the elevation level lines seem to be oriented to the colored arrow. But, I can't select and move the colored arrow to within the elevation markers in the site plan.
    I selected the entire floor plan, and moved it within the elevation markers in the site plan, (they are visible in the site plan but not in the floor plan).
    But still nothing shows up in the elevations except the elevation level lines. Attachment 109379
    As you can see in the attachment, the colored arrow which contains the elevation level lines is a long way away from the site plan details.
    Need to understand the relativity.
    Thank You
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Trying to understand view organization

Those arrows are the orthogonal arrows and they are located at the project basepoint/survey point and is the 0,0,0 point. Usually in Revit you will model your building with that point at the corner of the building so Revit has few things set up there such as the level lines which are just not graphically shown extending forever when in elevation. If you want that base point to be a different value based on a benchmark you will be referencing in the real world then you can go to Manage tab --> Project Location --> Coordinates dropdown --> Specify coordinates at point to change the location to what it will be in the real world.
    In reality though it is up to you where you want this point to be relative to your building.

Also in your level 1 floor plan select your elevation callouts, near the base point, and select and move them to where you building is. When you select the elevation arrow itself you will see a dashed line. The side lines are the crop region edges if crop region is turned on in the view. The front line is the far clip setting if there is a far clip turned on in the view.