Thread: Automatic dwg backup system

Wish List Administration

Default Re: Automatic dwg backup system

Summary: Implement an automatic dwg backup system

Description: Inventor is my primary software. When one opens an Inventor model or assembly, the file being opened is saved as a backup in an Oldversions folder. That way, if the user can always go back and open older versions of one's work.

There have been several times when I've closed a file I was working on, and when I closed the file I clicked on "Save' by mistake. Right now, there is now way to revert to the original file.

There is a system variable that sets how many versions to keep.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Open/Save

Submitted By: nickada on 01/05/2023

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Never used Inventor but sounds like the MOVEBAK (Express Tool) may help.

Changes the destination folder for drawing backup (BAK) files.

Once you specify a folder, the drawing's BAK file is placed in that folder after every save operation.

Enter new value for MOVEBAK, or . for none <current setting>:
    Enter a . (period) for none or type the folder name
    If you enter ".", the MOVEBAK folder name is cleared and new BAK files will be created in the original folder.
    Note: Creating BAK files is optional, but recommended. The system variable ISAVEBAK controls whether BAK files are created each time the drawing is saved. You can also enable this function from the Open and Save tab of the Options dialog box.

Many organizations use lisp code or other software to store backups and revisions in customized locations like subfolders.

Please ask questions about how to do things in AutoCAD on the Forums rather than the Wish Lists.

This Wish List is for AutoCAD, not Inventor. The IV Ideas forum is here. Even so, like Tom mentioned, it's best to go to an Inventor forum first to see if there is a way to do what you want before you make a wish.

Autodesk supplies Vault for backing up previous versions. A version stored in Vault is never overwritten.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

This is where you need to consider an EDMS, (Engineering Document Management System). Autodesk provides Vault as one option, there are others including Adept from Synergis Software.

It's a much more complex problem, and needs a more robust solution that simple versioning of back files if you really want to maintain a full history of drawing changes. Otherwise Tom's MOVEBAK suggestion is workable.
    Last edited by cadtag; 2023-01-06 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling is hard on fridays