See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Allow other users to Refedit current drawing

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Allow other users to Refedit current drawing

In my options on the on the "Open and Save" tab;

Should "Allow other users to Refedit current drawing" be checked?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Allow other users to Refedit current drawing

Quote Originally Posted by tim_newsome View Post
    In my options on the on the "Open and Save" tab;

Should "Allow other users to Refedit current drawing" be checked?
    Are you talking about editing an external (xref) drawing?
    I tend to stay away from using Refedit to edit xrefs, it can be clunky and cause problems
    I usually use "XOPEN" or open the xref file in the reference tab, and so that means others shouldn't be editing it too.

I only use Refedit to edit blocks in my file or bedit if its a dynamic block.

I don't have an answer to your question because I don't use Refedit that way

Login to Give a bone

Like Ted, I don't use REFEDIT because you can end up with layer names prefaced with the xref name. But, if you have that option checked, then someone can edit the xref while you have it referenced in your currently open parent dwg. When they finish their edits and save the xref, you will get a popup notice that the xref has changed. You can simulate this by opening a file with an xref in it, selecting the xref and then choosing "Open XREF". That will open it in another tab, simulating someone else opening the file. Make an edit and save the xref. Now activate the previous tab and you will see the popup that the xref has changed. How you use this 'feature' just depends on how you want to organize work in your department. If you turn off this option, it will effectively lock the xref while you have the parent dwg open.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    Like Ted, I don't use REFEDIT because you can end up with layer names prefaced with the xref name. But, if you have that option checked, then someone can edit the xref while you have it referenced in your currently open parent dwg. When they finish their edits and save the xref, you will get a popup notice that the xref has changed. You can simulate this by opening a file with an xref in it, selecting the xref and then choosing "Open XREF". That will open it in another tab, simulating someone else opening the file. Make an edit and save the xref. Now activate the previous tab and you will see the popup that the xref has changed. How you use this 'feature' just depends on how you want to organize work in your department. If you turn off this option, it will effectively lock the xref while you have the parent dwg open.
    Thanks for the added info Ed, that makes sense, you wouldn't want to lock-out others from editing the reference file (at least I wouldn't)
    That's how our shop works, anyone can open and edit the reference files, I turned off my notification that something changed and just reload on occasion.