See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Losing Orientation

Login to Give a bone

Default Losing Orientation

I've been having a problem in ACAD for some time now. I have both 2006 which I use primarilly and also 2022 that I'm learning how to use the different interface.
    I do almost all of my work in 3D. I design model railroad passenger car details and interior, but my latest project is Schnabel cars (BIG cars with a beak designed to move transformers).
    At times, when I swich view, the screen doesn't wind up on the same orientation that the view is. Hmm, not a good description. Let me put it like this: I draw a circle, but it appears to be a line as I am looking at the side view of the circle. Another indication is if I try to move something up or down, it will _only_ move left & right (or vice versa).
    I have to cycle between views: bottom, left front iso, left, right front iso, right, right rearo iso, top, left rear iso - you get the idea - until I'm back in the orientation I want to work in. At this point all commands work properly.
    What is going on? How do I fix this?
    The strange thing is that this has been happening in both 2006 & 2022; it happened on my old system with Win7, a GeForce G3 video board; it works on my new system (win10, 128gb RAM, Quadro K5200).
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Bert
    On Track Design

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Losing Orientation

AutoCAD is still basically a 2D application, even though you can work in 3D. For example, you place a BOX in your drawing and view it in SW view. You can still issue the LINE command in this view. However, the line, being a 2D object can only be drawn in the current UCS, which is planar. Further, if you drew your line by snapping to one corner of the cube and then snapping the second point to the opposite corner of the cube, the line may look like it goes across the middle of the cube, but it will exist in the current plane of the current ucs and only look like it connects to the other corner. When you rotate your view, the line will appear unconnected in the plane it was drawn in. So, what you are describing is as-designed. Nothing is 'broken'.

Also, if you design primarily in 3D, I would highly recommend getting a SpaceMouse. It speeds up your work so much.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Two questions: First, is there any interference between the SpaceMouse and a generic LogiTech mouse (M705)? Second, is it worth the extra bucks to get the SpaceMouse Pro?
    Thanks for your response, BTW!

Login to Give a bone

It's been a while since I worked in 3D Acad, but when I did, it was important to change your UCS to the view you're working in.
    Whether you change the view and then match up the UCS or vise-versa, you can't effectively "draw" if your UCS isn't aligned with your view.

Not knowing how you are navigating to your 3D views, if you're using the preset 3D views that come with AutoCAD, the UCS matches up automatically
    (command "view") opens up the dialog for views either preset or saved ones if you have any, you may already know this.

Also look into the USCFOLLOW variable.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sierrabert View Post
    Two questions: First, is there any interference between the SpaceMouse and a generic LogiTech mouse (M705)? Second, is it worth the extra bucks to get the SpaceMouse Pro?
    Thanks for your response, BTW!
    No, in fact you could have multiple Logitech mice if you wanted. I have the M510 and use it with my SpaceMouse. The SpaceMouse doesn't really replace your mouse pointer. It manipulates the view. So the term 'mouse' is a little misleading.

I don't think that I would use all the buttons on the Pro. The model I showed you does have a button for your thumb that is programmable. I don't even use all the buttons on the M510. I just rely on the ribbon.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn