See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How to do a group cut/fill analysis in Civil 3D for multiple surfaces simultaneously

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default How to do a group cut/fill analysis in Civil 3D for multiple surfaces simultaneously

I have a drawing with 20 separate finished surfaces and one exiting ground surface. I would like to calculate the total cut/fill quantities for the entire project site in one calculation, rather than select each finished surface and compare each finished surface with the existing ground surface. For this many surfaces, this takes too long.
    I noticed you can group select as many of the finished surfaces as you like in the comparison box of the volume analyzer dialog box, but the software only picks the first surface in the list for the calculations so the calculation is incorrect.
    Is there a way to accomplish my goal here?
    I would rather not patch all the finished surfaces together if I can.

Thanks,
    TT

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to do a group cut/fill analysis in Civil 3D for multiple surfaces simultaneously

Typically, I would paste all finished surfaces into another surface to create an overall finished surface. Then I would create a TIN Volume Surface comparing the existing ground to the overall finished surface.

If you have finished surfaces that overlap, you will need to determine which is the last surface to control the output within your overall finished surface.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to do a group cut/fill analysis in Civil 3D for multiple surfaces simultaneously

Opie,
    That worked but that was a lot of pasting. Plus I get nervous about the possibility of messing up or losing entirely the separate surfaces.
    I will send in a request to Autodesk to come up with a better solution.
    TT

Login to Give a bone

You don't lose the individual surfaces with this workflow. Those individual surfaces are not being modified when they are pasted into a container surface. You can also select all surfaces at once when pasting into the container surface.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt