Thread: How do I turn on Point Labels for Points that were imported into a surface

Login to Give a bone

Question How do I turn on Point Labels for Points that were imported into a surface

I have a 3rd party program/plugin (PVCad) that creates a .csv point file that I need to import into Civil3D and create a surface from.
    I end up with a .csv file that has 3,000+ points in it.
    If I click Insert > Points from File, It takes 1 hour or more to import the points. But then I can create my surface from them and display them how I want.
    If I create a surface and then add a point file to the definition of that surface, it imports the points in seconds, however I can't figure out how to turn on the point labels to display the elevations at those points. I can only display the point marker?

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do I turn on Point Labels for Points that were imported into a surface

You don't.

The first method is creating actual COGO points. The second method is just adding the point data to the surface without importing the points as COGO points.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do I turn on Point Labels for Points that were imported into a surface

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    You don't.

The first method is creating actual COGO points. The second method is just adding the point data to the surface without importing the points as COGO points.
    I was afraid that would be the case.

Are there any best practices for streamlining the import of 3,000 - 10,000 cogo points from a .csv ?

Login to Give a bone

I don't work with COGO points enough and especially in those quantities to provide a best practices. I do know my firm uses the Survey Database, but I don't know if that would help your situation.

Do the points you are wanting to import contain feature codes? If not, the current method of attaching the csv to the surface may be the proper workflow.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

No feature codes, just ENZ or XYZ columns. Unfortunately I need to display the Z values, so attaching the csv to the surface isn't getting me there.