Thread: line color

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default line color

HI
    Ok I'll admit it first I have done the unforgivable but don't have much choice, so now lets fix it.
    I sent a dwg to and Architect for his layout and concepts. He sent it back and he changed my line colors and they won't change back. I can't hardly see them but I need to be able to see them to rotate his layout back into my site.
    I know I have seen this before but I can't remember the fix. does anyone out there remember

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: line color

Its hard to say, You don't provide much information. Is the arch dwg an xref? Can you post the file?
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    Its hard to say, You don't provide much information. Is the arch dwg an xref? Can you post the file?
    Agreed, not a lot to go on, sounds like either an xref or maybe a block (dwg that has been inserted).
    And that the arch has maybe changed the line work to colors other than ByLayer? Or changed the layers?

A bigger question would be if the OP had a drawing file xreffed (that was sent to the arch), why wouldn't you simply replace it with the new one and it would be at the right orientation and layer colors would appear correct (with visreatin = 1)
    But that is a process question not for this problem and may not apply to their process.

Login to Give a bone

HI
    I should have include more info. I sent the dwg to the Architect who I suppose is the one who inserted the dwg as and xref (my layers now have xref in front of them) and moved it to the negative coordinates and changed colors. then I would guess that he inserted the xref as a block since I received it back as a block. doesn't matter if I explode his block or go into it through the block editor the property line according to the properties windows is set to by layer and the correct color has been assigned to that layer, but it is clearly not that color. and if I change the color through the properties dialog the line changes color but not to the one I pick.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by remi678731 View Post
    HI
    I should have include more info. I sent the dwg to the Architect who I suppose is the one who inserted the dwg as and xref (my layers now have xref in front of them) and moved it to the negative coordinates and changed colors. then I would guess that he inserted the xref as a block since I received it back as a block. doesn't matter if I explode his block or go into it through the block editor the property line according to the properties windows is set to by layer and the correct color has been assigned to that layer, but it is clearly not that color. and if I change the color through the properties dialog the line changes color but not to the one I pick.
    When you say the layers have "xref" in front of them, is it like "XREF-$0$LAYER NAME"? If so it was an xref they had and "bound" as a block (bind, bind, not bind, insert).
    Also you say you change the layer colors but the lines don't change, is because the entities are NOT ByLayer, the lines etc themselves.

Use the command "setbylayer" and put everything back to ByLayer, and then you should be able to control it with the layer properties.

The bigger issue is that they sent you back a file different then you sent them, (bound xref with overridden properties) maybe you can have them sent it back to you in the manner you sent it to them?
    What is your agreement/contract with these people?

Maybe you don't care what the layer names are, so the setbylayer will fix your problem enough?

Login to Give a bone

HI
    I have checked all the layer setting by layer, by block etc. I have seen this before it has something to do with layer states and over rides but has been a long time and I can't remember the command to get it undone.
    and trying to get them to send me a dwg back that hasn't been ???? Isn't going to happen. Just baffles me why some people think they need to move the dwg from the site the surveyor gave me it all has to go back to him at some point to get staked. all they are accomplishing is introducing the chance for a error ok done ranting

Login to Give a bone

Find the common points between your original drawing (OD) and the architect modified drawing (AMD). Then XREF the AMD into your OD. You may need to adjust the scale of the AMD after you have referenced it into your OD.

Once you get the AMD size to match your OD, you can then align the common points in the AMD to the same points in the OD. Be wary of differing elevations on the common points. It may affect the orientation.

You can then freeze the layers with the XREF prefix names so they do not conflict with your OD.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt