Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling Revit

Login to Give a bone

We are in a situation where we are trying to sell Revit to people we work with because our reseller lacks the ability to properly do their job. Our reseller went to this group that needs to have their drawings in a BIM fashion so they can have a firm control on building cost across the entire project. The reseller shows them ADT and was unprepared and incapable of talking about Revit. We along with the people who received this demonstration we feel this shows an utter and complete incompetents on the part of the reseller. This is their job, and they have their heads in the sand. We are in the mid Atlantic Region and are looking for a compact reseller who is aware of the software they sell. Any and all suggestions of where to go would be greatly appreciated. This has great important to our firm.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Selling Revit

If you folks have a high-speed internet connection, we can show what Revit can do over the internet. We can't sell you the software (you have to buy it locally or direct from Autodesk) but we could certainly train your firm to use Revit.

Feel free to call me if you want to talk about it. We're on the West Coast, so we're 3 hours behind you. 1-877-691-9171 and my extension is 114. We've heard lots of complaints on this NG that resellers are not on the ball with Revit, and that sucks!

Standing on the shoulders of giants... in Atlanta
    Login to Give a bone

Was at our reseller's main office just two weeks ago to buy a plotter. They had a beautifully done display case of the Autodesk product line. Care to guess what was missing? WTF?

Not that I'm cynical -- I am. But methinks this bodes ill...

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Revit is easy to use. It doesn't require significant training to get going.

There's no API so they can't 'extend' Revit.

We can generate our own content -although this is an opportunity .

In many ways Autocad/ADT makes it easy for resellers. The products require lots of expensive training to be productive. They're hard to setup well and they have API's so resellers have another revenue channel.

For Resellers like KarelCAD in Australia who have taken the bull by the horns I'd say they've found there is value added opportunities for them.

IMO Autodesk missed the opportunity when they purchased Revit to align themselves with their competition. They should have shown Revit to the resellers and only the ones that GOT Revit and were excited by it should have been allowed to sell it. This would have created regional expert revit centres with resellers who understood BIM and understood Revit.

Not that I'm cynical -- I am. But methinks this bodes ill...
    Only if you're a reseller. If they don't get off their arses and start getting behind Revit, Autodesk will make the decision for them. Sure the revenue stream might drop shortterm but longterm the future is BIM and the future is REVIT.

Guy

Login to Give a bone

In order to sell Revit, don't resellers have to show that they have an AE on staff that is proficient? My understanding is that the test is currently a joke, but it should be made more comprehensive and given again.

Cathy Hadley...pipe up here.

Login to Give a bone

...all the adsk certification tests are a joke. <I've taken all the AEC product tests.>

Revit does require training @ "the factory". I think this is a very good idea. However, most are looking at sales issues and not operational issues.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Because I was a known Revit user (pre Autodesk), I was given a once-over by someone from Autodesk. The only points I lost were for not using the proper schlock-talk when giving the demonstration. And I did that on purpose: a lot of the marketing schlock is meaningless and doesn't get people clearer on how Revit works.

As usual, our competitors in Vancouver are pushing ADT harder than Revit, and I don't get it. I was talking to one of them in Las Vegas, and while they were attending all the Revit classes, they outright told me that they didn't believe in Revit as the solution for architects. I don't know if they're just trying to position themselves as different from us or what, but I was shocked.

Login to Give a bone

Well, there's the answer then. Make them take a real test and pass it...kinda like umm, I think some other software companies do...like oh, CISCO and MS.

Login to Give a bone

I've been strictly an AutoCAD user for the past 10 years. A couple of weeks ago I landed a dream job. I'm working as Application Engineer for an Autodesk dealer in Roanoke, VA. I have the duty of installing, supporting, and teaching all Autodesk AEC products. (We have another person that handles mechanical.)

I've been very active with AUGI for almost that long as well. That's how I found this forum. I think I'll be visiting here often as I love Revit and am learning as much as I can about it.

I don't know who the reseller was that you had the bad experience with and it doesn't really matter. I agree with everyone's comments about resellers not knowing their stuff and Revit not getting equal billing.

The company I am with, Engineering Design Systems (EDSI), is very different in our philosophy. I would not have agreed to work for them if they didn't stand out in many ways.

I attended some Revit training at AU and am self-teaching as much as possible. I'm visiting the AUGI forums and now here to educate myself as much as possible about this exciting new product. Someone on the AUGI forums made a comment about Revit being as exciting as when he first went to CAD almost 20 years ago. I agree! I'm very excited about it and mention it to anyone that will listen.

I don't know enough yet about ADT and whether someone would switch from ADT to Revit, but for someone looking at switching from ACAD to a package, I always suggest Revit for its ease of use and quick learning. Again, I'm not in sales. Guess I'm just a natural cheerleader for things I believe in.

I would be happy to help you since you're not terribly far away from us. I'll send you a PM with my contact info.

I'm open to any insight anyone wants to share with me on Revit and will do my very best to learn every aspect of it and get the word out to as many people as possible about it.

Thanks!
    Beth Powell
    Roanoke, VA

I could stop if I wanted to Melarch's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Wes,

Don't be discouraged, I wrote a while back expressing my amazement when the Autodesk regional AEC rep told me that ADT is still their primary focus and Revit is still a year or more away from a full marketing campaign, because there are two many ADT licensed seats to disenfranchise (as happened with Inventor's release and MDT users). So there posture is not to push Revit in the face of the ADT user base. They did say that any existing or potential client that asked about Revit was to be given a demonstration, but to be assured that Autodesk's commitment to continue developing and supporting ADT was primary.

So for over six months I have been laboring in the Mid-west to demonstrate and promote Revit to the architectural community with little avail. I have run several free, hands-on training classes through a Moraine Valley Community College (a premier Autodesk Training Center) which reached full enrollment (twenty seats), organized a Revit Users Group several months back with good attendance (fifteen or more in the audience) and have made a dozen Revit demonstrations to architectural firms (all of which were WOWed, but none were prepared to try a pilot project).

If effort could be measured in ERG's I have and continue to exert the driving force in the Chicagoland area, but every dealer is uniformed on marketing Revit and has little understanding of it's power or benefit to the architectural community. Plus they are cash flow driven to continue serving all of their clients seats of ADT, which they invested sales energy and support services convining the architectural community it was easy to learn, and would make their practices more profitable and staff productive.

I will continue to forge the advantages of Revit's building information modeling and parametrics until the market relizes the benefits. That day will give me an opportunity to bring Revit's BIM Solution to architects in my realm of the planet and raise the art and productivity of their project documentation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast