See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloud versus X-Ref paths?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Cloud versus X-Ref paths?

Hi Folks

We recently moved to a cloud based sever which is great for remote working and all but it also has thrown up a unique problem. That is each person then has a different path structure go um and as a result of course xrefs go a little doo lally. I know we can put them all in the root which is fine for some of them but when you have multiple clients and tiers you really need to keep them separate. Have any of you come across this issue and have managed to solve it. I would love for some aid in this especially as the more luddite's among us would love to use this a as an excuse to go back to their caves and finger paint the walls.

Cheers

SD

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cloud versus X-Ref paths?

At least on Windows, you can map a drive letter to any share point. Hopefully your organization uses a singular hierarchical file system so that everybody's structure is identical to the same resources. Map drive letters to every top level folder (L: Library, O: Office, P: Projects, R: aRchive, S: Standards, T: Temp, U: User-223, etc.) Then P:\Project-2234\design\A-FP01.dwg is the same for everybody.

Login to Give a bone

I'm not sure that will work. The issues as far as I can tell happens because each individual access the server is front loaded with their individual logon. So the main site is say projects/jobs etc etc. that is the same for all. the issue is Janet & John will be front loaded with their own name adding to the root. Janet/protects.... John/projects.....

Login to Give a bone

I don't know if this applies (I don't use a cloud) but I assume using relative xref paths would work?

As long as your folder structure is the same below the variable ones the drawings will find the xrefs regardless of the what's above the standard folder structure.

Janet/Projects/.../ABC Project/Drawings/Sheets (and) .../Drawings/Xrefs

John/Projects/.../ABC Project/Drawings/Sheets (and) .../Drawings/Xrefs

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by superdoodle View Post
    Hi Folks

We recently moved to a cloud based sever which is great for remote working and all but it also has thrown up a unique problem. That is each person then has a different path structure go um and as a result of course xrefs go a little doo lally. I know we can put them all in the root which is fine for some of them but when you have multiple clients and tiers you really need to keep them separate. Have any of you come across this issue and have managed to solve it. I would love for some aid in this especially as the more luddite's among us would love to use this a as an excuse to go back to their caves and finger paint the walls.

Cheers

SD
    LOL Well stated.

We use relative paths on Sharepoint.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

We're going through the same process - with the same issues.
    Our current workaround using AutoCAD LT & SharePoint is to have the new cloud "drive" folder (titled "Projects") set-up with a similar individual project folder structure (Burgh\Neighbourhood\Street or Building\New Job Folder) as we were working with on the server.
    We then select the Projects top level folder and click "Add shortcut to OneDrive". We now have a folder structure on our computer that AutoCAD can see.

For an individual project job folder, we have the option to work with the files offline. This automatically syncs the copy on the laptop back to the Cloud. Once the project is off my desk, I can right-click the job folder & "Free up space" to remove the offline files on my computer to give me back storage for the next project.

The potential hazard is two people accessing the same CAD file at the same time and overwriting each others edits. Good communication helps, especially as we're consigned to home working, or selecting the Check out option for the file. We then have to remember to check the file back in at the end of the day.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by JGA_o1 View Post
    We're going through the same process - with the same issues.
    Our current workaround using AutoCAD LT & SharePoint is to have the new cloud "drive" folder (titled "Projects") set-up with a similar individual project folder structure (Burgh\Neighbourhood\Street or Building\New Job Folder) as we were working with on the server.
    We then select the Projects top level folder and click "Add shortcut to OneDrive". We now have a folder structure on our computer that AutoCAD can see.

For an individual project job folder, we have the option to work with the files offline. This automatically syncs the copy on the laptop back to the Cloud. Once the project is off my desk, I can right-click the job folder & "Free up space" to remove the offline files on my computer to give me back storage for the next project.

The potential hazard is two people accessing the same CAD file at the same time and overwriting each others edits. Good communication helps, especially as we're consigned to home working, or selecting the Check out option for the file. We then have to remember to check the file back in at the end of the day.
    Both in my current company and my last job, we keep a spreadsheet log of who is editing a current drawing.

Now, my cad manager has a log for each active project and we initial on which files we're in before we open them.
    In my last gig, we worked on so many buildings, not for separate projects, we had a spreadsheet with all of our names and put the exact filename into a spreadsheet, and that checked for duplicates that others had input.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

I'm always kinda baffled by people using 'da cloud' for mission critical core business functions. All a 'cloud' is, is someone else's computer. One that you have no control over access, who can view/copy/edit anything that's on it. Not to mention the downtime and lost productivity when some ijit runs a backhoe through the fiver optic line, or the provider being bought out by someone who just decides to shut down that area of business and repurpose the infrastructure for something else. Or go broke and close the doors.

We've seen a lot of all of that in the on-line gaming world

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    I'm always kinda baffled by people using 'da cloud' for mission critical core business functions. All a 'cloud' is, is someone else's computer. One that you have no control over access, who can view/copy/edit anything that's on it. Not to mention the downtime and lost productivity when some ijit runs a backhoe through the fiver optic line, or the provider being bought out by someone who just decides to shut down that area of business and repurpose the infrastructure for something else. Or go broke and close the doors.

We've seen a lot of all of that in the on-line gaming world
    Agreed cadtag, (it seems a bit sketchy .. LOL)
    We do however, use BIM360 for our Revit projects (which is a "cloud" I guess) but it allows the team to work from home offices (started due to the pandemic).
    We use Dropbox as our link to our server, and found that working on a shared Revit model there didn't work.

We can only hope "autodesk's computer" is kept safe from the backhoe!!

All AUGI, all the time thomas.stright's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    I'm always kinda baffled by people using 'da cloud' for mission critical core business functions.
    Everyone in our BIM group (100+) are using workspot for everything. This is all users, Office and Home based.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast