Thread: Driving Dimensions in Dynamic Blocks

Wish List Administration

Default Re: Driving Dimensions in Dynamic Blocks

Summary: Once constrained the it would be nice to be able to drive dimensions from outside of the block - similar to Inventor.

Description: I am wanting to create a Dynamic Block which has a variable Clear Opening Width and variable Clear Opening Height. After constraining the block it would be nice if we could drive that dimension for either of the above outside of the block. I am thinking of something similar to Inventor's iLogic? Currently we are having to create grips and drag the block accordingly. I would like to be able to sinc. the driven dimension to a table for example and so I could put the Clear Opening Width in the Cell and be able to change the Clear Opening Width of the component (Likewise with the Clear Opening Height). Whilst I am on this then it would also be nice to be able to turn visibility of components on or off again by using a table?

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Blocks

Submitted By: cpace on 05/31/2024

While you can't add a link to a table, you can create a custom property that drives a dimension constraint in the block. To edit, just select the block and change the property value.

C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    While you can't add a link to a table, you can create a custom property that drives a dimension constraint in the block. To edit, just select the block and change the property value.

Thanks for this however I have been able to do this. What I am after is a way of liking thise Constraints into a Table so that I can change dimensions and be able to turn things on or off. Unfortunately the "Wish List" part of the website don't appear to be working?

You can find your wishes by clicking on My Wishes. Apparently you chose a title that was already in the system.

You can use code to link the cell to an object by storing the objectID in a xrecord and then use a command to update the dims from the table.

LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post

I would prefer to have a table. This would work better in our environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Eigerdoor View Post
    I would prefer to have a table. This would work better in our environment.
    I understand, but this wish may never get implemented. There are other ways that can be considered. If you want to use a table, you will have to write code to change the block when the table updates.

LinkedIn