Thread: Third-Angle Projection on multiple sheets

Login to Give a bone

Default Third-Angle Projection on multiple sheets

Hello All,

I have had a difference of opinion with my superiors on how to show third-angle projection on a multiple sheet drawing. For the sake of this discussion lets say it is a 4 page drawing, and you are drawing and printing from Model space. Paper space is not used at all. (I could have a whole different thread devoted to this issue.)

I have uploaded a drawing that shows what I am talking about. Some parts have been removed, but you should be able to get the idea when you look at the drawing.

One of the senior designers has told me that View B-B is shown incorrectly. He feels it should be rotated 180 degrees with a note stating that the view is rotated 180 degrees counter clockwise from how it is called out on sheet 1. See sheet 3 for sample notes.

I told him I thought this was wrong, and that anyone reading the drawing would interpret it as the standard views from third-angle projection. If I could fit the whole drawing on one sheet I would not have to do what he is saying to do. He says that this is his point exactly; since I have multiple sheets I need to clarify the views otherwise the text for view b-b should be upside down.

The long and the short off it is that I think this drawing has gotten screwed up by using the above method. We have mixed two different ideas. We should not call out the views like we do on sheet 3, or we need to call out view b-b like they are called out on sheet 3. I find the sheet 3 method way to confusing, but am open to being told I am wrong.

What do y'all think? Am I wrong and just to stubborn to see it? Please help me out.

Thanks,

Jack
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time bbapties's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Third-Angle Projection on multiple sheets

personally I don't think you should say what its rotated at all.... I think Its obvious that its being rotated.... thats what the callouts are doing on page 1 (telling you which way your looking...... you don't do that for sections y would you for an elev...)

that being said I think you should rotate BB 180 degrees....

but thats just my opinion...

Login to Give a bone

In my opinion, everything is correct except for page 3. I'd draw it like this (attached).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bbapties
    personally I don't think you should say what its rotated at all.... I think Its obvious that its being rotated.... thats what the callouts are doing on page 1 (telling you which way your looking...... you don't do that for sections, why would you for an elev?)

that being said I think you should rotate BB 180 degrees....

but thats just my opinion...
    I concur!!!!

Login to Give a bone

Why would you rotate BB? I think I am getting confused as to how to interpret third-angle projection.

IF you leave it drawn the way I drew it, you are looking through the part, and that is wrong???

What about if you are drawing all 6 standard views on one sheet. You don't rotate BB in that case, so why rotate on a multiple sheet drawing? Are you suppose to interpret third-angle as the part needing to be "suspended in mid-air" and you are moving around the part to look at it. Not that you are stationary and are rotating the part around you. If you are still and are rotating the part then I would concur with your statement about rotating view BB.

All AUGI, all the time bbapties's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Im basing my opinion strictly on how I interpret the call out in the view on the first page....the view callout for bb is pointing south so that tells me that you are standing at the north of the page and looking south...... if you were trying to representate what it looks like looking thru the part it should be labled as a section looking north......

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bbapties
    Im basing my opinion strictly on how I interpret the call out in the view on the first page....the view callout for bb is pointing south so that tells me that you are standing at the north of the page and looking south...... if you were trying to representate what it looks like looking thru the part it should be labled as a section looking north......
    Exactly!
    Great minds think alike!