Thread: Rotate a wing of a building

Login to Give a bone

I have a building drawn to a fairly detailed level and now one wing of the building needs to rotate... is there any way to do this without a huge mess. Last time I tried to rotate a whole building (without using Relocate Project/True North) I almost tore my hair out.

If I were to save the building as two files, delete half the building from each file, rotate one, and then recombine them, I would still need a way to rotate without using the project north.

Thanks,
    Andre

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rotate a wing of a building

As of right now (unless they fixed it in 6.0) there is no way to easily rotate your project or a portion of it. You will have to detach and disjoin and rotate and then rebuild relationships. It will take a little while, but unfortunately not enough people have encountered this to make it a high priority. Have it happen to you once, and I think you will be contacting support to request this be fixed soon. It is a pain.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

This is one instance where worksets can help a bit, at least to control object display and permit you to isolate the affected wing better.

Another approach would be to group the wing in question "carefully" and rotate, then un-group...do this after you back up the file...hehe...

As Greg said, you'll need to assess the relationships where this wing touches something that won't be turning so you can "predict" what may break or need to be dis-associated first.

Login to Give a bone

You will probably have to re dimension with my suggestion, but it has worked for me in the past. First do as Steve suggested and place all the objects on the "wing workset, now have a floor plan with the rotation origin point marked clearly, then open a 3d view, close all other windows, now select everything with a crossing window in the 3d view and ctrl tab to the floor plan and do the rotate command move the rotate origin to the proper location in put angle(you should figure the angle out, don't try to do it graphically. If this works great, if not you need to do the same thing but check the disjoin box, within the rotate command. Note if you need sections etc to come allong in multiple views you need to grab those( I would do those individually after the model is rotated, go to the section, highlight the detail components, ctrl tab back tot he floor plan move the rotation origin and input the angle.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK