Thread: Relevative Path vs Full Path Xref Swap *

Post Relevative Path vs Full Path Xref Swap *

In the Xref Manager, similar to changing the Overlay/Attach option, I wish we could swap an Xref from Full Path to Relative Path.

Attaching an external reference as a full path may seem appropriate initially, or may be a carry over from an older version, and it would be nice to easily change the references to Relative Path for future use if we change our minds.

Default Re: Relevative Path vs Full Path Xref Swap *

Quote Originally Posted by tomdillenbeck
    In the Xref Manager, similar to changing the Overlay/Attach option, I wish we could swap an Xref from Full Path to Relative Path.

Attaching an external reference as a full path may seem appropriate initially, or may be a carry over from an older version, and it would be nice to easily change the references to Relative Path for future use if we change our minds.

amen to that... easily, batch of course...

Default Re: Relevative Path vs Full Path Xref Swap *

Quote Originally Posted by mes0945
    amen to that... easily, batch of course...
    Hi

Reference Manager (stand alone utility) should be able to help greatly with this... Path manipulation can fairly easily be achieved within this tool.

Have a good one, Mike

Talking Re: Relevative Path vs Full Path Xref Swap *

Quote Originally Posted by tomdillenbeck

saw another discussion on the autodesk discussion groups about this.

Re: set xrefs to relative path
    Yes, I wrote the utility. I did a google search of "xrp lisp" and found it
    posted at the following URL:
    http://www.freecadapps.com/swcategory.php?page=category&offset=150&value=ACG
    -BXT&archive2=0&orgvalue=ACG

I believe that version was coded to run in R14 and R2000. You can download
    it just to try, and in Notepad, search for "15" and change it to "16", and
    that'll get it running in R2004/2005. That version is a "tryware" version,
    fully functional but will run 100 times. E-mail me at antennaria @ aol.com
    if you have any questions.

--
    Mark McDonough

I should also mention, that the tryware version of XRP.lsp, written for
    R14/2000i, is lacking a couple of enhancements found in the newer version
    for 2004/2005.
    http://www.freecadapps.com/swdetails...owcolor=ffffcc

Description:
    XRP V3.2 is a Autolisp utility for AutoCAD R14 and AutoCAD 2000 that applies "relative paths" to any XREFs and IMAGEs that are attached to your drawing. XRP is an indispensible tool to repath XREFs & IMAGEs in situ or in place, replacing hardcoded full path names with "relative" path names. If you use XRP on your drawings before moving them and before sending them out, you will discover how incredibly useful the concept of "relative pathing" is. XRP quickly strips superfluous XREF path information, including the drive letter and redundant upper-level path information. The shortened paths use the old DOS CHDIR or "CD ...." syntax to locate each XREF or IMAGE file. Once drawings are repathed with XRP, your DWG files and dependent XREFs and IMAGEs become much more portable. Version 3.2 has been updated to extend the "relative pathing" capability to IMAGE files. It also will properly recognize when the true XREF or IMAGE file name is different that the "internal symbol name". The single file XRP14.LSP will work on AutoCAD R14.0, R14.01 and AutoCAD 2000. *Use of XRP14 to repath IMAGE files on AutoCAD R14.0 is not recommended because AutoCAD's IMAGE command was quirky in that version. XRP14 can be used effectively to repath IMAGEs in AutoCAD R14.01 and AutoCAD 2000.
    so, I haven't tried this out yet, but, just another thought.

(difficulty in my setup being that the users access from a different drive letter 4 folders up than the old setup for the CAD people, so, some references work, some don't, just want to change them all to relative so noone has problems)
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost