Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for ADT converts [others too, I suppose]

Login to Give a bone

How have some of you gotten started in Revit? Jump in with a new project on a deadline or learn "on the side" and start the next project with it?

I tend to be a "baptism by fire" kind of guy - but I'd hate to get behind the 8-ball on a project with a short fuse. I suppose this is what revit series is for...

What's the best resource in New Engand - USA for training? I'm in Southern New England and would love to spend a few days with somebody, then just jump into the fire... there's always zoogdesign forum and what's the other one ?rugi? I work alone, but I'm fearless.

Lastly: for former ADT2004 users.. Any regrets at all? Just tell the truth, don't sugar coat it. If there are aspects which are worse but likely to improve, please just spit 'em out. I'm all ears (eyes).

Thanks in advance

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Question for ADT converts [others too, I suppose]

I switched to Revit last year before ADT4 came out. We got an update for ADT4, and I installed it but then uninstalled it, so I can't help with question regarding that. Really I don't see ADT comparing to Revit. All of the features in Revit are, in my opinion, quite superior. Walls are wall, doors are doors, etc, but the difference is in the way that they are executed. To me Revit offers much more control. You can actually create an accurate 3d model. Being able to cuts sections where ever you want to and manipulate objects...adjust the height of dormers, roofs, verify intersections, etc is really priceless. It also does an excellent job at actually using the model data to create clean elevations, sections, and floor plans. In ADT we would just create a basic model to generate line work for elevations and sections and then explode those views for 2d line work (I am sure ADT4 is better at this now). Also things are organized by type rather then layers, this is much more intuitive.

The only thing that I sometimes miss are ADT's roof slabs. I had more control with roof slabs then with Revit's roofs (Revit is not always consistent in allowing you to trim roofs, and it lacks the miter tool, and pivot point of ADT). This bothered me at first, but although Revit's roofs are not as controllable, the ability to work in sections makes me feel that I can model a complex roof quicker. Roofs are important to me because we do some pretty wacky stuff, but for 90% of the people I don't think there is a problem, and since you can directly model a roof as an in place family, there are also some other possibilities that I did not have in ADT.

I don't think that you should just "jump into a project." Personally it wouldn't matter how good a program is, you are going to have to set the program up they way you want it, and decide how you are going to use it to create projects. I learned Revit by spending a lot of time with it, and going through Revit's excellent tutorials. I recommend doing the tutorials, and perhaps buying a book, and then spending time on the discussion groups.

I believe AutoDesk recommends picking an ideal pilot project, and this is sound advice. Pick a project that is smaller, and not too complex. This gives you a chance to work everything out before heading onto a bigger more involved project, and most importantly it gives you the confidence that Revit can indeed create a beautiful set of CDs.

Now I am doing everything in Revit except for details. We have a great detail library and input system in AutoCAD. I tried converting some details to Revit, but there were some problems. First, the annotation from the details doesn't come in consistently, and second, once you create a detail where do you put it? Having hundreds of details listed as drafting views isn't appealing to me. In AutoCAD you browse with an external viewer to the correct detail and then drag it onto your detail sheet, it is more visual and works great, so until Revit has something similar we will just keep the Details in AutoCAD.

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

sphaugh
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How have some of you gotten started in Revit? Jump in with a new project on a deadline or learn "on the side" and start the next project with it?
    I switched over to Revit in version 4, from ADT 3.3 in November 2002. I too tend go learn more in a "Baptism by fire." I spent a full weekend "playing" with a version of Revit and getting a feel for it. After that one weekend, I believed that Revit was the way to go and I switched to it completly on my next new project as a trial. The trial project was a GLOWING success and I switched my license a month later. I've never looked back except to feel sorry for those "stuck" in the archaic world of ADT.

I'm an instructor at our community college. This forces me to stay current on my ADT skills. Believe me, after learning Revit and using it for a while now, I feel more and more sorry for those still in ADT who refuse to see the value of Revit. I think they somehow feel that switching over to Revit would be damaging to their pride. Isn't the goal supposed to be accuracy and productivity?

I recommend jumping in with both feet after you've taken a full weekend to become familar, and perhaps comfortable, with Revit.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mlgatzke
    I think they somehow feel that switching over to Revit would be damaging to their pride. Isn't the goal supposed to be accuracy and productivity?
    I think that's a huge problem. Once I get my boss on board I think we can go for it, I just don't want to abandon 3 years of teething on ADT, to a point of proficiency and actually many epiphanies in version '04 - but I still yearn for a better place...

Thx for your input, both of you guys above.

All AUGI, all the time Les Therrien's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I investigated Revit since it's second release. I was very interested in its promise. At the time I had just jumped into the ADT r2 and Viz offer which was out at the time. I feel I was lied to and tricked into the purchase. I was shown the usual reseller demo and was impressed with it. I even took training. The instructor could not answer many of my questions about how to do simple things. They even called tech. support at Autodesk only to get the same answer. I used the software as AutoCAD only while I waited until the next release so that I could do the simple things I wanted to do. I then only used ADT for its wall - door - and window functions (like most users). I am a production designer not a rocket scientist.

To side track here for a moment. Last year I decided to check-in again and see how the Revit development was going. At this time the whole Autodesk-Revit purchase was about to take place. Through the newsgroups I read and read all the posts. There was something very valuable here. Not only did I learn lots about a program that I did not have, or even use yet, but there was this "family" that existed between its users. Some have even become friends without ever meeting. Obviously something very special here. Revit users were very threatened by the Autodesk purchase. Every little thing was important. Whether it be the actual software, the way it was purchased or rented, the ability to actually contact the software engineers even. Autodesk then tried to switch over the alt.cad.revit newsgroup only to find they had better wait. Then Chris created the ZOOG Design newsgroup! Pretty much all the users including people from Autodesk come here for their information (thanks Chris). Needless to say, there is something special here. I haven't even begun to talk about the software!!

I personally attended all the online courses that were (are?) available though revit.com. They are better than a tutorial since there is an instructor that you could ask questions to. I learned tonnes! Still, not actually using the software I was very impressed. Finally, the Revit purchase was complete and Autodesk came out with the "Companion Seat Offer" and I made the plunge. I played around with Revit minimally since I had gained so much knowledge from the newsgroups. I waited until I felt I was ready then sought out a couple of clients whose deadlines were not time sensitive.
    For my first projects that I am about to complete, I was able to communicate design ideas to clients that would have been near impossible by any other means. By the end of January, I plan to be on Revit 100%. This software actually makes me want to work!
    My advice is that Revit is user friendly enough that you could just jump in and go, but I recommend that you become familiar with the way it works and get a decent template ready, then you will fly!!

I am not sugar coating this. Revit is awesome!!! I wish I had this software 10 years ago. I will not go back to ADT (AutoCAD) except when using old files. I am amazed at the software everytime I learn something new about it. Right now I am doing a project using phasing. WOW!!
    When I think of how I would have had to things before?? Revit is just so much easier that I keep thinking I'm missing something.

Sorry about going on and on..............My name is Les Therrien and I'm a Revit-a-holic. ops:

I could stop if I wanted to studio3p's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'm glad someone finally asked the question about Revit vs ADT in this way. I used ADT for years, and before that I was using Softdesk. The thing about ADT that I haven't read much on this newsgroup is that ADT served an important role in it's time. I haven't seen ADT 4 in action, so I can't comment on the latest release, but unless it has made leaps and bounds, then I think it's timeand place are passing. Still, I don't see a huge value in bashing ADT. In my opinion, it was so much better than working in vanilla AutoCAD. For years I fought with others in the office to demonstrate the value that ADT offered. That being said, I'm not using ADT anymore. Period.

I started using Revit 100% the day the e-mail confirmation hit my inbox with my license information. The first project took longer than I would have liked, simply because I didn't know how to speak Revit. It took me hours to understand how to rotate a view so I could work on it orthagonally rather than at a 45 degree angle. Everyone here has said it a million times, but I'll say it again - this forum is one of the most valuable tools available to Revit users. In addition to rotating the plan there were a number of other issues that in the scheme of things were simple, but at the time during the first project were a bit frustrating. Still, I'm glad I forced myself to deal with them during that project instead of reverting to a 1/2 and 1/2 scenario with Revit and AutoCAD. There are still many things I'm not doing with Revit that I could/should, but the results I'm getting thus far are so far beyond what I ever hoped to accomplish using an AutoCAD based software.

Like a few of the previous replies, I suggest you choose a project and dive in. Keep your browser pointed here and ask away as you encounter issues.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by studio3p
    I'm glad someone finally asked the question about Revit vs ADT in this way.... I haven't seen ADT 4 in action, so I can't comment on the latest release, but unless it has made leaps and bounds, then I think it's timeand place are passing. Still, I don't see a huge value in bashing ADT......
    The only reason I remain a 'lurker' here is that my firm has 8 seats of ADT, we only need 4 if we'd known about flexLM. And worse decisions have been lately: letting the subscription runout on all 8 seats since the boss who makes that decision, yet doesn't use cad, "didn't see the need"... so I'm trying to be very careful in going over his head!

My only other conundrum is that I've really made huge progress since ADT04 arrived. For the first time I've actually created sections & elevations from the model, used materials for the 2d views - and I'm impressed, but still wanting more. Since the rest of my company has ADT04 on the shelf [I'm a standalone guy in a remote office] and is using ADT3.3 (in a very vanilla autocad way except for some bad use of door schedules) I think it may be time to throw my voice in and try to make some noise w/ the owner of the company. To his credit, despite hating computers, he owns sketchup - because he thought it was cool (but admits he really doesn't know how to use it)... So opportunity is shall we say, knocking...

Thanks for putting up w/ my incessant tire kicking!

Login to Give a bone

Sorry - I was a long time supporter or ADT in the eary days. I had high hopes for it. Looking back - trying to integrate ADT for the average <even above average> office is a waste of time.

Deployment time and upkeep is a massive task. The new palettes are really a disaster.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

We played with Revit for awhile then decided to just jump in on one project. Worked for us. We decided on that approach based on the idea that we could always export out to Autocad to finish up if we got into a bind. Didn't have to though.

Login to Give a bone

I'm not sure of the size of your firm, but we had great results from the Implementation program that Autodesk/Revit offers. They sent one of their experts in for a week to train our project team of 12 people. The program also includes additional days for them to come back and help throughout the project when needed.

Not only did they train us to use the software, but have also been a big help with organizing project team structures, the process of design with Revit, etc.....You definitely get your money's worth out of these guys!

If interested give Hunter Marston (Autodesk Project Implementation Manager) a call at 781-839-5398 for more info. Once again, these guys have been great help for us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast