Thread: How to Update Property Set Definitions?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question How to Update Property Set Definitions?

I have a user who is creating many drawings (dozens) containing AEC Areas, custom area tags, and schedules for a large architectural programming exercise. He has all of the areas drawn, tagged named, etc. After doing this, he realized that he needed an additional column added to the schedules. I accomplished this by modifying the appropriate property set definition (PSD) and the schedule style. Here is the problem:
    While its relatively simple to update the schedule table in each drawing using a palette tool, we cannot figure out how to do the same operation with the PSD. We would rather not have to use the style manager interface to update all these drawings - particularly when they all will need to change again in the future (guaranteed). Does anyone know how to put PSD styles on a palette or some other ADT trickery to update the PSD in many drawings without using Style Manager?

Thanks,
    James Snyder

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to Update Property Set Definitions?

Select the objects that have PSD's already attached. Go to the properties palette & click the advanced tab & hit the button to remove the property sets for that object. Insert the new schedule table in the dwg. and schedule the applicable objects. Then pick the table, right click and choose add all property sets. This should reattach the new PSDs. If that doesn't work, you may need to delete the table & psd styles from style manager first, then bring in the new table. I also think you could copy PSDs from one dwg to another with style manager & overwrite the existing styles, but I'm not sure if it would propogate to the objects that have PSDs already attached. Give it a try & see what happens.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: How to Update Property Set Definitions?

Steve,
    Thanks for the reply. The last option you described works just fine actually - when you do this operation via style manager it even asks whether you want to overwrite the existing PSD in the drawing or not (very considerate).
    What I was hoping for was a way to do this from a tool palette (or even the command line via a script?) since the style manager interface is a bit overwhelming for many users - I enable them. Tool palettes are updatable and much more manageable in our workflow. It does not appear that you can place a PSD style tool in a palette - that is bumming me out a bit.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jsnyder.68308
    Steve,
    Thanks for the reply. The last option you described works just fine actually - when you do this operation via style manager it even asks whether you want to overwrite the existing PSD in the drawing or not (very considerate).
    What I was hoping for was a way to do this from a tool palette (or even the command line via a script?) since the style manager interface is a bit overwhelming for many users - I enable them. Tool palettes are updatable and much more manageable in our workflow. It does not appear that you can place a PSD style tool in a palette - that is bumming me out a bit.
    Unfortunately, there is no way to get PSD's on a palette to my knowledge - believe me - I've tried. I don't know much about scripting, so maybe someone else will pipe up.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

ADT2006 has a PSD tool [it is a variant of the tag tool]. I have not specifically tested this, but I would hope there is an option to reimport the PSD[s] from the source file. That does not necessarily do the ADT2005 user any good, however, unless you are looking for reasons to upgrade.