Thread: sharing projects between 2 systems

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs down sharing projects between 2 systems

I am a one horse... operation. For years I have operated two connected systems using XP. One system with older releases to still maintain a bit of productivity and the other with new releases to learn as time allowed. I could share files as needed with ADT 2000, but with the PN system of ADT 2004 and 2005 I have not found a way to share (or transfer) the same project on the two systems. Whatever I create on one system can not stay on that system. I am slightly comfortable with 2004 and getting there with 2005... but I need a solution to this. (before adding 2006 into the mix)...

Dan

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: sharing projects between 2 systems

What I've done to keep 2000 files as 2000 files, and adt2005 as 2005 was to create an element in pn, and just x-ref the 2000 file in to it, so I can create my views and sheets.
    I'm not sure if this is the type of problem you are having, but I know this works.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs down Re: sharing projects between 2 systems

David,

The problem is not with the 2000 files I can keep them on one system and just go back to it when needed. My problem is getting the files in 2004 to open in the other machine with either 2004 or 2005. My method is I create on system A and send to system B to plot and back up. Now that system A is my 2005 machine (2004 is still on it) I am not sure how to transfer the 2004 files to system B to keep for future use. I have copied the folder from one PN to the same location on the other machine, repathed etc., but this is not as simple as keeping the dwgs in a single shared file accessible by both A and B...(as I used too when files were files and not everything was linked... )

This maybe quite simple.... or impossible, but it would make my life simpler.

Thanks

Dan

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: sharing projects between 2 systems

Yep,
    Can't help you there. We skipped 2004 and went to 2005. We are just starting to use PN and anything we had already created in 2000 wasn't in a previous PN file structure.
    It's a good question, beacuse I'm sure we'll be in the same boat soon.
    Sorry I couldn't be any help.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: sharing projects between 2 systems

Just kinda looking at this objectively, but, if you are a one person operation, why would you bother with keeping 2 machines going? Why not keep everything on one machine? If it were me, I would either run a tower with multiple drives or a laptop with an additional external drive for extra data storage. My life is complexe enough without having to keep track of the same files on two seperate computers. One other scenario would be to slave computer B to A & just work with A & use B as addn'l. storage. You can run multiple versions of ADT on the same machine. You just need to be very methodical about installing everything. Install in order of release & make sure before installing the next release that you've gotten all service packs installed for that specific release you've just installed.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs down Re: sharing projects between 2 systems

In the 15 years of depending on a computer for my livelihood I have found that I show up every day for work, but over the years I have had systems with problems. Whether a monitor burned out after hours, a virus, or just refusal to boot up. When I need to upgrade hardware I replace the older of the two systems. The same goes with software. I am running 2000 and 2004 on one system, the 2000 for files originated in R10, and the new stuff in 2004. The other machine has both these plus 2005 for my slow but steady learning and transition. Prior to the 2004 PN system of files it was very easy to keep multiple copies of files on each system and not worry about backup etc.

Another advantage I find is while the two systems are just feet apart they are pointed toward different windows and have different chair types etc., and this helps break up long hours.

It is just a system that works for me and has eliminated down time.

Dan