See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Someone had to be first.

I could stop if I wanted to Ron Oldenbeuving's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Someone had to be first.

Quote Originally Posted by jguest
    So can I use this somehow to my advantage, even though I only have 2Gb of RAM?

For example, we all know that XP can run happily on 512Mb total (OS + apps) if not running a CAD app, so can I restrict the OS to use 512Mb and allow the other 1.5Gb for apps? Or does this approach only work if you have the full 4Gb?
    Memory does include swap space, so, even if you only have 2GB RAM, the option is still available and useful.

Login to Give a bone

Is anybody else having a similar problem? i.e. the hourglass issue.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm having the hourglass issue and have been know to go to lunch while an assembly is opening.

One thing I've noticed with Inventor is that it is very stable. It will hang for a long time while trying to open something but will not generally crash. I've waited over 1/2 and hour for large assemblies to open and although it hangs it always seems to load them.

I find it frustrating that it wont use more than 50% Ram or 50% CPU.

I could stop if I wanted to Ron Oldenbeuving's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The best way to open a large assembly is to pick the file name, then click on options, and set the design view representation to "nothing visible". This will open the file with everything invisible, but it wont load the assembly and part data until you make it visible. Then pick on the parts or sub-assemblies you wish to work with, and make them visible. This is a good deal quicker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12