Thread: Dock Door Style Needed

Login to Give a bone

Default Dock Door Style Needed

Anyone create a Dock Door with a built in opening for the dock leveler?

Looks kinda like this?

Yikes, Ascii art ain't all that it is cracked up to be!

|_ _|
    |___|

RLB
    Last edited by richard.binning; 2005-05-25 at 07:39 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dock Door Style Needed

I'm not all that good with door styles, but can't you just draw a pline, create a profile and assign it to a new door style?
    I thought thats how those kind of things were made, but I could be way off.
    Well I got the idea to work, not sure if this is what you're looking for , but here you go
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by david_peterson; 2005-05-25 at 09:02 PM.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

In my experience the dock leveler and dock door have nothing in common other than the general location in the building. It seems to me that the dock leveler is more a part of the slab or foundation wall than the door, IMHO.

Login to Give a bone

I would tend to aggree with you there. Besides that I'm not sure how this door would even function. I've never seen a door like this. Where dose the track go?

Login to Give a bone

You are right about it being more a part of the slab, but when you form a "Tilt-Up Concrete" wall, you want to form the entire opening in the panel. I am trying to encourage some of our more recalcitrant members to utilize ADT instead of their old 2D blocks.

FWIW - I have noodled out the following solutions and none have really risen to the top yet.

1. Create Dock door style and insert, then follow up by inserting an opening 20" high x 6' wide and insert it at center bottom of door opening.
    2. Create Dock door style and insert, then insert mass element representing entire dock leveler pit and perform subtractive interference from the wall, then add a hole in the floor slab.
    3. If I add the leveler pit to the door style as an add block in the model display, I can then select it as an interference. This has the added benefit of the levelpit moving when the door is moved. However, the interference doesn't move when the door moves. And I cannot select the levelpit as part of the hole for the slab.
    Any other ideas out there?

*Edited to add new conditions and results.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by richard.binning; 2005-05-26 at 02:36 PM.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I understand what you are trying to do graphically, but when I put on my architectural hat, I wonder how the dock leveler is installed partly in a pit and partly in a tilt up wall opening. Unless the pit is formed after wall is tilted in place, what are the chances of the two opening being aligned? Also, it appears that the dock bumpers must be mounted on the tilt up walls. Are the walls designed for this impact load? Sorry for the critique, but like the scorpion, it's just in my nature.

With all that's going on at that door, I would go along with alternate 2, because there are so many things that need to be coordinated, anyway, such as the pit, the leveler, and the door, itself.

Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

I am trying to minimize some duplication of effort. As an integrated design-build firm with all major disciplines in-house, it makes sense to share the load and minimize duplication of drawings. This helps on two fronts, productivity and coordination.

2D process:
    1. Architect lays out 2d floor plan
    2. Architect extrapolates 2d elevations from floor plan
    3. Structural xrefs 2d floor plan and creates foundation plan by redrawing some lines
    4. structural extrapolates 2d panel elevations from floor plans & arch elevations
    5. When floor plan changes, the architect must revisit the elevation and adjust it to represent the new conditions.
    6. The structural engineer must revisit his/her plans and update them to match the arch floor plan
    7. The structural engineer must revisit the panel elevations and ensure that the openings match the new conditions.
    8. Add steps 6& 7 here for each additional discipline involved as necessary.
    Coordinated Process

1. Architect lays out "intelligent" floor plan using objects (including intelligent dock door)
    2. Architect generates elevation from floor plan using automated generation.
    3. Structural xrefs in floor plan and turns on "Structural Foundation Display Representation"
    4. Structural generates 'interior' panel elevation from original floor plan using automated generation
    5. When floor plan changes, the team members right click their elevations and choose "update", then make minor "annotation" changes where necessary.
    This is why I want the Tilt-up panels to show the true opening!

RLB