I graduated with an AAS in Design and Drafting. While I wasn't a speeding bullet right out of school, I was proficient enough to make a living. After reading this thread, I thought I should probably put in my 2 cents worth.

Regardless of what is taught in the programs today, it wouldn't cover everything that the surrounding community would want for a draftsman. Therefore, you would always have complaints. Where I was educated, they simply tried to give us a good base to build upon. Ensured that we could use AutoCAD and Microstation (this was in 95), RCAD and a couple other pieces of software. As they knew, that we would all need further training.

What have I learned in the 14 years since? More than I can post here. One thing I've picked up recently however, is that BIM (Revit or whichever) is the end of draftsman. Which is going to be a mistake. It's going to be a mistake because honestly, no offense intended, 99% of engineers / architects have no idea how to make a decent, well laid out drawing. We, as an industry, have been sacrificing quality in favor of speed and quantity. Remember, engineering drawings started out as works of art.