See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Assoc. drafting degree?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Assoc. drafting degree?

This is one of the problems I had with engineering interns. Even though they have a degree (it's all BS), they were only required to take a single semester (3 hours) in 'engineering graphics'. As a new hire at the company I used to work at, they were given a CAD position (for lack of a better term). To them, I was just a grunt CAD tech and what did I know? A heluva' lot more then them, and in the ways of ACAD, drafting, and design.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Assoc. drafting degree?

~nods~ my instructors (community college) were a mix of shop teachers from the local high schools, and people who actually worked in the field. (the second part of the group was one big benefit of taking night classes, as their working experience made their lessons a little more applicable)

~memory fade to HVAC class~
    ~raises hands~ all we're drawing is forced-air heating systems, are we going to do any hhw systems?
    ~shakes head~ naw, you'd only use that type of thing if you were working on large commercial projects.

~fade back to present, still never having worked in residential. ~

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.adams
    College cad courses are running about 3 years behind the curve. Most instructors have never used AutoCad in a practical sense. Today's college hiring of instructors require a college teaching degree and a engineering degree to teach these courses. If I have a teaching degree and a engineering degree can you guess what type of career path I'm going to take? Hence you get instructors with little or no practical experience in Cad design. This is a black mark on college campus's all over, and these students are paying for a skill they never acquire. It's a crying shame.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

All AUGI, all the time bbapties's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

ya but everyone knows that that little piece of paper makes you a better hire...

Login to Give a bone

So you're all saying I'm not ordinary?

I have my A.A.S. in Industrial Technology Engineering - aka Drafting. I got a full spectrum of courses in AutoCAD, Solid Works, and CADKey. College is where I developed the vast majority of my AutoCAD skills - basic concepts, paperspace, 3D apps, basic manipulation of the program (LISP, customization). Quite frankly (and oh so modestly) I had a firm grasp of AutoCAD when I was done, and a rather impressive portfolio of sample work.

That being said, it all depends on what program you're in. I know those going for Engineering Science are taught the bare, bare minimum (copy, move, line, etc.), as are those in the *shudder* Architectural program.

Mind you, hiring this guy who can barely function to be a drafter is just asking for it...either get him some training, or get him outta there!
    I drink coffee for your protection.

Windows 7 | AutoCAD 2017 | Revit 2017

Login to Give a bone

Hey thanks for all the reassurance. Although my experience with college was positive in regards to learning acad and more general drafting rules, plus some general cad management. Even the soccer moms in looking to start a new career had a great handle on acad.

I did bring this up briefly on about day two.. But the boss said "he's not bad for having no practical experience".. No he's horrible.

This was the only guy he interviewed, and apparently he is a brother of a good friend from high school. Months earlier I offered my services in finding an entry level drafter, but that fell on def ears. He did take my advice and viewed a sample drawing from the guy, because I found the previous hire exploding dimensions and changing line properties instead of changing layers. Boss said the sample drawing looked good, but it must have taken him weeks to complete.

Now get this, the other day boss was complaining to me about how he hasn't gotten a paycheck in two months... I'm trying everything I can to get this company more efficient. But its like I have one hand tied behind my back.

Thanks for your experience, This is my first job in this career and might be my previous job if things don't change soon.

Login to Give a bone

We run into this problem with our new hires all the time. We have 3 new hires, two interns and an "experienced" drafter. Only one is worth his salt. He is an arch. intern with a BA in architecture. He is great and he knows AutoCAD inside and out. The other two are worthless. Slow as molasses going uphill on a cold winters day. Unfortunately, we are so short handed we will take anything. That piece of paper may make a resume look good but if they don't have the skills to back it up...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bbapties
    ya but everyone knows that that little piece of paper makes you a better hire...
    and my BS isn't even in architecture or engineering. It's in construction. I was educated to be a field rat. But then I wised up and went back to what I was doing before earning a sheep's skin. Ironically, I've applied my BS more in my present position then when I was a "glorified, college-educated day-laborer".

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Find another job, you will never be happy there, I learned this after 4 grueling years

I could stop if I wanted to Ammon's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bbapties
    i interviewed at a small firm. It was just the one technician "cad manager"... he was looking for a cad monkey to do straight cad... It was when i first moved down to FL. He asked if I'd draw a quick 2d detail up so that he can check my knowledge of cad...So I said sure!, (planning that he'd ask) I pulled out my disc and said do you mind if I load my own profile and pgp file?..

He said... " a pg what file.....? I dont want you to draw a profile this is architectural work. I said for you to draw a detail...."

I promptly picked my resume off the desk and said "I'm sorry to waste your time, have a good weekend" and walked out...
    That's hilarious. I don't think I would want the headache of trying to work with someone that didn't know the basics of CAD customization.

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

So without knowing so much about AutoCad, what about computer skills?
    If the person is really good with a computer, then maybe all you need to do
    is take a half day to train them on some of the ins and outs of AutoCad commands.

Alot of what people know today is learned on the job...........the key is to make
    sure the associate is always learning.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast