See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Pipe Labels

Login to Give a bone

Default Pipe Labels

As I was running through the tutorial projects for pipe networks I wandered off into formating pipe labels. I wasn't happy with the pipe label 'description' for concrete pipe as being "## inch Concrete Pipe" I have two issues with it. One, I rarely have room for that much text in a combined label including pipe length, slope, pipe class, and Ex. or Prop., Two how and where do I define the pipe class. I did a little digging around and found a couple of XML files.

AeccCircularConcretePipe_Imperial.xml held the pipe description which I changed from "inch Concrete Pipe" to "''"

AeccSharedPropertyList.xml Held the listing of material types. Here I added some new materials, "RCP CL. III", "RCP CL. IV", and "RCP CL. V"

Now I had the pieces I needed. From here I went to the Pipe Network Parts List and made some new pipe sizes and appended the materials property to these new sizes. Now I have series of concrete pipes with different material types, all automatically named with their material types. Formatting labels the way I want them is very easy now.

Solving the different wall thickness for different classifications is a project for another day as it looks like it will require creating new pipe structures for each class.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Pipe Labels

Great to hear of someone making progress with Civil 3D, congratulations.
    I will offer a word of caution though on trying to create a new structure with the parts builder . . . the Autodesk Civil 3d discussion group has this

http://discussion.autodesk.com/threa...sageID=4852250

thread stopping just short of discouraging its use until further updates. It is apparently quite volatile and prone to lose access to the module interface forcing a reinstall of the program. I would think it prudent to try it only on a non production machine where the program can be trashed and reinstalled without interrupting production while learning.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Pipe Labels

Thanks quiggle!

Partbuilder solved my pipe classification/wall thickness issue. Everything I needed access to was there to make my own pipes. Using the partbuilder was much cleaner manner than editing XML files directly, although I did still have to edit the XML to get my pipe labels right. The partbuilder put a space after the pipe size and the " (inch) symbol. (+ had to use two apostrophes)

Now I'm on to structures .... I'm sure they're going to be more complex than a simple pipe.

Hmmm, new pipe thought ... a perforated pipe in a stone filled trench .... would need trench dimensions and pipe location within trench spec'd ..... dual pipes? .... dual pipes in stone trench?!?!

.... brain fry ....
    Last edited by MMccall.83699; 2005-06-06 at 05:47 PM.