Thread: Beyond Object Enablers ....

Login to Give a bone

Cool Beyond Object Enablers ....

I have seen several threads about people with older versions of AutoCAD having to go back to the source to get drawings converted to earlier versions so they can freely exchange data. Requests for converters to older versions are valid but I can see that Autodesk would not want to give users a reason to not upgrade by providing this type of utility, after all they want you to buy the upgrade.

With that said, I have a situation where we use vanilla AutoCAD and have no use for LDT or ADT, but we are constantly sharing data with firms that do. Object Enablers and Proxies give us some limited ability to use this data but we are constantly having to go back to the source to have these drawings "Exported" to AutoCAD so that we can effectively use the data. Just a note but we are using 2006 and have VIP so we are always up to date with our versions...

It would be nice to have the ability to convert these proxy objects ourselves. A utility program to convert LDT and ADT app data to vanilla AutoCAD would be a very useful utility for firms in our position that do not need the added functionality of these vertical applications but must share data with those that do. While it is only a minor inconvenience and we have a good relationship with the other firms we share data with it is a drain on our time and theirs to have to keep going back to them to export these drawings.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Beyond Object Enablers ....

do pardon, but, I'd like to move this post from the acad general forum to this one as I think it will receive a better response here.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rclayton
    I have seen several threads about people with older versions of AutoCAD having to go back to the source to get drawings converted to earlier versions so they can freely exchange data. Requests for converters to older versions are valid but I can see that Autodesk would not want to give users a reason to not upgrade by providing this type of utility, after all they want you to buy the upgrade.

With that said, I have a situation where we use vanilla AutoCAD and have no use for LDT or ADT, but we are constantly sharing data with firms that do. Object Enablers and Proxies give us some limited ability to use this data but we are constantly having to go back to the source to have these drawings "Exported" to AutoCAD so that we can effectively use the data. Just a note but we are using 2006 and have VIP so we are always up to date with our versions...

It would be nice to have the ability to convert these proxy objects ourselves. A utility program to convert LDT and ADT app data to vanilla AutoCAD would be a very useful utility for firms in our position that do not need the added functionality of these vertical applications but must share data with those that do. While it is only a minor inconvenience and we have a good relationship with the other firms we share data with it is a drain on our time and theirs to have to keep going back to them to export these drawings.

Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Beyond Object Enablers ....

Thank you for getting this to the right forum .... It is a subject of some discussion in my office and I would like to hear from others in similar situations ...

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Beyond Object Enablers ....

Thank you for getting this to the right forum .... It is a subject of some discussion in my office and I would like to hear from others in similar situations ...
    actually I was debating... it involves more than just autocad, it is a question of software interoperability... it's also a question of management... the pressure got to be too much, so I just threw a dart... it bounced off the screen and hit the keyboard, and here is where we landed...

back on topic, though... this is something that definitely affects my job (as an end-user, facilities management)... as so many of my contractors (the ones that aren't still on r14 anyway) utilize vertical products, and I have to try to deal with them later... I'd love to hear others thoughts on this as well, great topic to bring up!
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Beyond Object Enablers ....

I asked for the same thing in this thread w/ no reply:
    http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=18610

An aftermarket utility that is basically the same as AECObjectExplode would be perfect and is LONG, LONG overdue.