Thread: Sheet index & browser by discipline

All AUGI, all the time archjake's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Post Sheet index & browser by discipline

I know I'm not the first to do this, but after a discussion at our local users group I put together a tutorial for creating an automatic index that gives the user control over how the sheets are ordered. Prior to going through this process, the automatic sheet index and browser will only list the sheets in alphabetical order.

The attached tutorial shows how to create a sheet index which automatically references all your drawing sheets and divides them by discipline not only in the index but in your browser window as well. The index automatically updates as you add or delete sheets.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sheet index & browser by discipline

I like the idea of more option in sorting the sheets. Did all according your advice, but just got a bit confused when it came to enter all the different data (10 ..., 20...., etc.)
    Any hints of how this is done in one time.

Apart, I like the ides so much, that I would like to sort the different plans under "views" in the same way. Presently there is only architecture, structural and coordination.
    What is the easiest way to have the same order under views?

Gerhard

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard
    Apart, I like the ides so much, that I would like to sort the different plans under "views" in the same way. Presently there is only architecture, structural and coordination.

Gerhard
    For this function, you will have to wait until a further release! Probably when they have an integrated Revit M/E, hopefully by 2006?

All AUGI, all the time archjake's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I like the idea of more option in sorting the sheets. Did all according your advice, but just got a bit confused when it came to enter all the different data (10 ..., 20...., etc.)
    Any hints of how this is done in one time.

Gerhard
    I believe that you could sort your entire browser by the new discipline parameter, but I think that each and every view would need to be set. For myself it would be too time consuming and I would get very little out of it. But on second thought it may be worth it if It was done only for plans.

As for your question about the 10...20... I'm a bit confused by it, but I'll take a stab at answering. It is used to set the ordering of the discipline by numerical order instead of alphabetical. The easiest place to enter this information is in the schedule.

Login to Give a bone

I think Gerhard's question was how to assign the discipline fields.

The only way to have each discipline code "preset" and available from the pull down in the schedule is to create a placeholder sheet for each discipline and assign the corresponding code to that sheet, and save this in your template. It's not something you can predefine to be available to the user.

Alternatively, you might just include a temporary text note on the cover sheet in your template that defines them. It's then up to the user to make sure they follow it.

Login to Give a bone

Guess was not accurate enough

yes, first is how to get the raw info in...
    seems to be the easiest to do it in the schedule, as mentioned above

As to differentiate between the different disciplines, it would help to insert a letter as a= architecture, d-detail, e-electrical and so on in front of the sheet number

any elegant way to do this, or as mentioned above via placeholders and manual updating??

Is it really not possible to sort the plans into disciplines under views presently?

I use for the time being the letters as mentioned above to somehow differentiate between the the different tasks. But to sort under the different disciplines would bring some order in the browser window.

Gerhard

Login to Give a bone

Is it really not possible to sort the plans into disciplines under views presently?
    If by Views you do not mean the view itself (in its view properties) than it is possible but only with the view name. I have added an "A-" for architecture, "S-" for structures, etc. Currenlty the "View properties" allows for Architecture, Structure, and Coordination.

Did I understand your question properly?

Login to Give a bone

That what I did as well. But the problem is, that by that method, the search for a specific plan takes time.
    If additional disciplines could be added, it woudl be easier to sort it, since the other disciplines would be closed (meaning one would only see the discipline)

gerhard

Login to Give a bone

For sure that is where the program is leading to, but the section of the discipline is used much more than just organizing the folders, it overrides which categories are turned on in the actual view. And probably, until they issue, or get closer to issue, a M/E package, we won't see that option in the view properties. So until then we need to do workarounds...
    That what I did as well. But the problem is, that by that method, the search for a specific plan takes time.
    If additional disciplines could be added, it woudl be easier to sort it, since the other disciplines would be closed (meaning one would only see the discipline)

gerhard
    BTW, you know you can organize the folder by the first (or however many) letters of the view?