Thread: New Computer time

Login to Give a bone

Default New Computer time

Hello all,

I am considering a Polywell QBox portable with an AMD Athlon64 3700 dual layer 1MB cache, 1GB PC3200 memory and an NVidIA QuadroFX 1100 128mb 8XAGP video card.

Also, I am looking at a Sony SDM-HS95P flat screen.

This setup should run Revit quite well, don't you think?

Thanks for your input!

I could stop if I wanted to Paul Monsef's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New Computer time

Quote Originally Posted by MattB-1442
    Hello all,

I am considering a Polywell QBox portable with an AMD Athlon64 3700 dual layer 1MB cache, 1GB PC3200 memory and an NVidIA QuadroFX 1100 128mb 8XAGP video card.

Also, I am looking at a Sony SDM-HS95P flat screen.

This setup should run Revit quite well, don't you think?

Thanks for your input!
    I can't comment on the Box but i just purchased a Sony VIAO 'RB' series desktop that came with the SDM-HS95P flat screen... It's pretty nice! A little too bright when used at night, just be sure to turn down the backlight & the brightness. )

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I would recommend getting the 'newer' type of motherboard which uses PCI express graphics cards....alot faster, basically the AGP format is old technology now (ie you wont beable to upgrade it later)

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by alexpage
    I would recommend getting the 'newer' type of motherboard which uses PCI express graphics cards....alot faster, basically the AGP format is old technology now (ie you wont beable to upgrade it later)
    I agree. PCI Express smokes AGP. I just saw the new Dell XPS 2 (laptop) that has the new nVidia 6800 PCI Express card. the user was showing a 1900x1200 High Definition mpeg file while doing other jobs and the card wasn't even breathing hard: no framing, fragmenting, or pausing. It was awesome. PCI Express is the way to go - definitely.

I could stop if I wanted to Batman's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mlgatzke
    I agree. PCI Express smokes AGP. I just saw the new Dell XPS 2 (laptop) that has the new nVidia 6800 PCI Express card. the user was showing a 1900x1200 High Definition mpeg file while doing other jobs and the card wasn't even breathing hard: no framing, fragmenting, or pausing. It was awesome. PCI Express is the way to go - definitely.
    I can second this, I recently got a new machine with a PCI-e PX6800 GT/Ultra 256Mb; plus some other good features on the machine. I can run Revit, ADT, Pshop, Video edit, TV, plus other little apps (word, excel, outlook). No hicups yet on anything (at all). AGP is old news.

Autodesk Revit Developer
    Login to Give a bone

This creeps me. I was building my own computers when AGP was new and exciting. Am I turning into an old-timer?

Login to Give a bone

Maybe a slightly contrarian view, but...

For a graphics card in that performance range (Quadro FX1100), the AGP interface really isn't a bottleneck. Currently, only the highest performing PCIe graphics cards are going to exceed the limitations of AGP.

If you plan on upgrading your graphics card before you replace your computer (or if you plan on keeping the graphics card for your next computer), I would agree that it's definitely worth reconsidering.

If you're planning on purchasing a whole new computer in a couple of years anyway, I don't think it's necessary to hinge your decision on AGP versus PCIe.

I'm not too crazy about Shuttle-type PCs, but that's another matter...

Just my two cents.

Login to Give a bone

I'm not too crazy about Shuttle-type PCs, but that's another matter...

Just my two cents.[/QUOTE]

I am considering a smaller portable so I can take it between office and home easier. I really can't justify a laptop right now. What don't you like about the smaller cases? I've alway had large tower machines and they're a pain to move.

Is it an unreadability issue? Inferior cooling?

I am also wondering if the dual core processor is worth it, considering that Revit generally doesn't utilize it (except rendering), lack of 64 bit OS (right now). I do tend to run a lot of things at the same time, which periodically bogs down my current machine. Otherwise, my current 3 year old box is zippy enough. It's a P4 1.7ghz, Intel MB, Nvidea 64mb video, 512 MB memory running Win2000. Heck, I haven't even used 50% of the 60GB hard drive....

I'm just wanting to get a little more power and portability right now. I tend to buy / build a new box about every three years or so. What I want most is a nice big flat monitor!

Thanks again!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MattB-1442
    What don't you like about the smaller cases? I've alway had large tower machines and they're a pain to move.

Is it an unreadability issue? Inferior cooling?
    I think SFF (small form factor - shuttle-type boxes) PCs are really cool in concept (I have one of th earliest Shuttle PCs laying around as well as a mini-itx computer) - I like them for the same reasons.

From my own experience, and a neighbor hing business that has a lot of them, and the many "reviews" I've read, they tend to run hot or be very noisy due to the small but fast psu and system fans. The motherboards are generally proprietary which often means less stability. And I hear about a lot of reliability problems.

But all of this is a very general sentiment - it doesn't mean that there aren't specific systems available that are quiet, stable, reliable, etc. There's always going to be trade-offs - just prioritize your list of needs and then pick a computer that best meets them. I don't know anything about the the box you specified - it may be a great computer - you just have to do the research and be aware of the potential pitfalls. Best of luck.