See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network Deploy to local drive

Login to Give a bone

Default Network Deploy to local drive

I want to create a network deployment of an adsk 2006 product to a local drive. It's a removable USB drive. I've changed the letter designation to K & made the root of the drive as shared. For the life of me, I don't know why the wizard will not allow me to select this drive to install to.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Network Deploy to local drive

I've talked a number of people who have tried to do this or similar with no success in the past.

Aside from all of the obvious stuff, like 'Is the USB Drive big enough?' etc. I think that even if you do get the install to happen you will run into some severe issues when you try to run the application on another machine. Which, I assume, is why you are doing this in the first place.

When you install any software (well, almost any bar the simplest of apps.) the installer makes a number of entries into the system registry, and also adds many other files such as DLL's and the likes to various locations throughout the HDD. Unless you can find a way to migrate all of these additional files plus the registry entries in a reliable fashion then I have some grave doubts as to whether you will be able to achieve your goal.

If, on the other hand, you have simply run out of space on your local HDD and you are trying to install to the external HDD because this is the only space left on your system then you may have a slightly better chance of getting it to work - unfortunately I don't know how though.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jguest
    I've talked a number of people who have tried to do this or similar with no success in the past.

Aside from all of the obvious stuff, like 'Is the USB Drive big enough?' etc. I think that even if you do get the install to happen you will run into some severe issues when you try to run the application on another machine. Which, I assume, is why you are doing this in the first place.

When you install any software (well, almost any bar the simplest of apps.) the installer makes a number of entries into the system registry, and also adds many other files such as DLL's and the likes to various locations throughout the HDD. Unless you can find a way to migrate all of these additional files plus the registry entries in a reliable fashion then I have some grave doubts as to whether you will be able to achieve your goal.

If, on the other hand, you have simply run out of space on your local HDD and you are trying to install to the external HDD because this is the only space left on your system then you may have a slightly better chance of getting it to work - unfortunately I don't know how though.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I have a 2gb usb stick which is plenty big to hold an installation file of ADT.

However, I'm not trying to install the software onto the USB stick as if it were another drive on my local system, I'm trying to create a network deployment which is basically another *.msi file that lets you install the software from the new *.msi file on the drive to another computer(s).

Login to Give a bone

Ah, sorry. My misunderstanding.

I think I may have a possible solution for you then.

Have you tried mapping it through your network? (i.e. bouncing the data off your hub/switch.)

That way when you try to create the network install image you can specify the drive by using a UNC path, rather than trying to use a drive letter.

I seem to remember reading somewhere in the documentation that the Network Deployment Wizard does not like you to create the image on a mapped drive but prefers the full UNC path to install to. So, using this logic, if you can give it the UNC path to your USB Drive then it may solve the problem.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,...Jon.
    Last edited by jguest; 2005-06-13 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Removed redundant information.

Login to Give a bone

Ah, sorry. My misunderstanding.

I think I may have a possible solution for you then.

Have you tried mapping it through your network? (i.e. bouncing the data off your hub/switch.)

That way when you try to create the network install image you can specify the drive by using a UNC path, rather than trying to use a drive letter.

I seem to remember reading somewhere in the documentation that the Network Deployment Wizard does not like you to create the image on a mapped drive but prefers the full UNC path to install to. So, using this logic, if you can give it the UNC path to your USB Drive then it may solve the problem.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,...Jon.
    Actually, it won't let you use anything but a UNC path. Tried that too. I even mapped the USB stick as a new drive letter & made it sharable.

Login to Give a bone

OK, this may seem like a silly suggestion, but have you tried plugging the USB drive into another machine, sharing it from there, and then mapping to it?

Login to Give a bone

OK, this may seem like a silly suggestion, but have you tried plugging the USB drive into another machine, sharing it from there, and then mapping to it?
    Great idea, unfortunately, the way the network is setup here, that just wouldn't work. Otherwise, I would create the deploy image on the network itself.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Bennett
    Great idea, unfortunately, the way the network is setup here, that just wouldn't work. Otherwise, I would create the deploy image on the network itself.
    Um, OK. Well, how is your network set up then?

Are you one of us poor unfortunates who have our computing lives ruled by an all seeing, all knowing, corporate IT department?

Login to Give a bone

Unfortunately, it's the opposite. The company is pretty small & they insist on us connecting to the server via Remote Desktop (that should pretty much say it all). At this point, I'd rather have an IT department as we would have a normal network. But then I probably wouldn't get to use the widescreen laptop of my choice. Win some, lose some.

I suppose there is a way I could map a network drive to my local machine, but it seems like asking questions about that stuff is forbidden somehow. I have one other option that I have yet to try & I'll post what it is & if it worked or not.

Login to Give a bone

So, are you saying that they insist that you connect to their server via Remote Desktop even when you are actually in the office? Or do you do most of your work from home? Either way, what hardware do you use for the connection?

I always thought that the Remote Desktop (Formerly known as Terminal Services) was mainly intended for server administrative access by the SYSOP and other tasks such as trouble shooting, not for general access.

That seems to be a somewhat confused approach to things. They are obviously not too concerned about security on their server if they are allowing you to do this from home on a regular basis. All it would take is a keystroke logger app snuck into your laptop and a hacker could have access to their server via your login. I wouldn't be too comfortable using this approach myself, but I guess if they're fine with it....

Anyway, on with some useful (?) suggestions. You mentioned that you have a laptop that you use for work, yes? Is there any reason that you cannot use a crossover cable and connect this machine directly to another machine, plug the USB drive into this other machine, share the root of it there and then map to it from your machine?

That way you would be using the very basic "M'soft File and Print Sharing" within a workgroup, rather than having to stuff around with the Remote Desktop approach.

I'd be fairly confident that this approach should work if you have the necessary rights on your laptop, which you obviously have if you can install software.

I'd test it for you myself, but for the fact that my home office is a shambles at the moment having moved only recently and not yet having found the time to reconstruct it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast