Thread: dialog box icon view settings ?!

Login to Give a bone

Default dialog box icon view settings ?!

I've just recently moved to a new office, and I've consequently gone from using r2006 to ADT3 ... but that's not really the issue, at least I don't think it is...

The deal is, no matter what I seem to try, I cannot get the file related dialog boxes to remember the view settings that I want for the icons contained within the dialog. For example, I go to FILE > OPEN and I have the "icon" view current. I use the view settings thingy in the dialog and change it to "details" and it changes as it should. However, if I browse to a different folder within that "session" of using the dialog, it changes back to "icon view" in the next folder I go to ... and If I go back to the folder I had set to "details", it too is back to "icon view" ... And, of course, when I exit the dialog and go back into it, it's back to icon view as well.

Weirder still is the fact that the "preview" option will stay set... allowing me to turn preview on and off within the dialog ..

I have my windows explorer set to detail view, and have clicked the "apply to all folders" button in my folder options , and with respect to that, everything is running fine.

I know that I've seen other threads in other places in the past that dealt with this same problem, but I cannot find anything dealing with it. So, if anyone could please give me some suggestions, I'd be forever in debt to you !!! This is driving me crazy...

Thanks in advance...
    Trey

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: dialog box icon view settings ?!

What O/S ?

Login to Give a bone

Windows XP pro ...

but I think I found the trick to getting it to work ... I had to hack the window's registry ...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R15.0\ACAD-xx:xxx\Profiles\Architectural Desktop\Dialogs\Select File

if you set that key to 4, it displays "details" ... if you set it to 3, it shows "list" ... We'll see if it sticks from session to session...

thanks for chiming in ... I might still need your expertise ...

Login to Give a bone

OK ... I've verified that the registry key I posted does change the view settings ... and I now know a few other things ... If you do hack your registry, you'll find that there are a few other dialogs that have this setting key ... and they all work the same way. However, you will eventually find that these settings do not stick. I have not been able to figure out what it is that's resetting them, but hey .. whatcha gonna do? I have even created a new profile, and have set my shortcuts to use it to start up the program ... but that still doesn't fix anything. I'm stumped... any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks again ...

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Have a browse through the links found within the following thread, hopefully you will find some of the information useful...

Altering to list display

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Mike ... but it unfortunately seems that my OS vs. Autocad problem is without remedy. Although it might seem like a minor issue that my file dialogs will only display "icon" view, it's fast becoming one of the most annoying things I've had to deal with. I guess I'm just going to have to push them to upgrade soon, as we need to do it anyway.

On a different side of the issue, is there anyone here that's savvy enough to know what it is about r2000 versions that keeps resetting the view to "icon" ? As I said earilier, I have been able to manually hack the registry, and upon opening acad the first time after that, I get the desired view (either list or details) ... but the next time I open it, it's back to "icon" view... I'd just love to know what's resetting it... and further, why wouldn't autodesk release a simple patch to fix it? I can't believe it would be difficult at all for them to do that. Oh well, not enough time to worry anymore than I already have ...

thanks for you help,
    Trey

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Have you tried after changing the view, holding down the shift key while clicking the open button to open a drawing? This was a trick back in Windows 95 to maintain windows and dialog box sizes (you may have to hold down **** while clicking the X to close the window is some cases, even some dialog boxes) and has worked on every version since and seems to remember views ans such this way as well. You may also want to try in explorer changing the default Folder view to how you want it to appear on opening a file (set up the view how you wqant it in any folder, then go to tools -> folder options, click on the view tab and then the Apply to all Folders button.