Thread: General Question about VIZ

Login to Give a bone

Question General Question about VIZ

Hi all,

My company is trying to determine whether or not to purchase VIZ. They want to render interior designs into walk through presentations. Will VIZ work with Autodesk MAP 2005?
    We also have third party software, from vendors, to insert different types of furnishings. Will these affect VIZ? I have no experience with VIZ, How does it work with Dwgs?

Any information anyone can provide regarding the use and their experience with VIZ would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Vito

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: General Question about VIZ

Quote Originally Posted by vlee
    Hi all,

My company is trying to determine whether or not to purchase VIZ. They want to render interior designs into walk through presentations. Will VIZ work with Autodesk MAP 2005?
    We also have third party software, from vendors, to insert different types of furnishings. Will these affect VIZ? I have no experience with VIZ, How does it work with Dwgs?

Any information anyone can provide regarding the use and their experience with VIZ would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Vito
    VIZ can import dwg & dxf formats. I know with other adsk verticals like architectural desktop, there is an option to link a dwg file to viz - i'm not sure if this is an option for map though. VIZ would most likely do what you want it to from your description.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

thanks Steve. How would you describe the learning curve for an individual with good CAD skills but has never seen VIZ to get up to speed?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by vlee
    thanks Steve. How would you describe the learning curve for an individual with good CAD skills but has never seen VIZ to get up to speed?
    ~cringes~ Well, it depends on how you approach it & what your disposition is towards 3D environments. I definitely would say training is a must for a program like VIZ. If you take the base course and get right into using the program you should do alright. It's a very extensive program, so it's not like you can learn it all at once. Focus on the modeling aspect first, then materials, then animation. I learned 3ds MAX (it's VIZ with way more features) after using AutoCAD for a couple years with no problem since I have a good aptitude for 3D environments & spacial relationships. But there is no way I would try to learn the program without getting some good training.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM