Thread: How to manage Room Bounding Issues?

Login to Give a bone

Default How to manage Room Bounding Issues?

I am having some issues regarding walls NOT defining a boundary. Below is an image of two projects. The left side shows the problem: area bleeding out to other spaces. The right side shows that if I copy the problem objects to the clipboard and paste into an empty project, EVERYTHING WORKS FINE. I guess I need some lessons on what to look for when the areas are all screwed up. Any help, Factory?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to Shaun v Rooyen's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to manage Room Bounding Issues?

Brad, often when I've made internal changes I get the warning of something about rooms with this big button on the left "Delete Rooms". Now if you actually read the whole description and delete the room (although not always the one you want deleted) Revit reconciles the room tag for you. If however ignored seems to cause these little problems.

Have you made changes to the space?
    What happens if you delete the room tag?? and place another.
    Are you able to get an "Explain Error" from the tag?
    If you are still struggling, Can you post the file to have a look at.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Could you try to copy larger piece of design (so that room issue is reproducable) and post it here? Or send your model to support. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Llook for wall joint, and if all the walls are bounding defining.

I could stop if I wanted to Tom Dorner's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

As suggested in the above posts, I have found it is mostly due to walls that are not properly joined. In particular, walls that go too far into other walls such as the vertical piece of wall in your image going into the exterior wall.

There was another post on this issue that one of the Revit developers had responded to and it seems Revit will "close the gap" of up to 1 foot for walls that do not quite meet, but will not handle any room boundary lines that cross each other which is what happens when a wall extends into another too far.

One of the tricks I use to find the "leaks" is to add a room separation line to cut the room in half, move the room tag from half to half seeing which one works. When I find the half that is leaking, progressively move the added room separation line in that direction isolating the wall intersections if possible. Watch what is happening and you can usually find the offending wall join or other leak.

Failing that method. it is always possible to simply turn off the wall's room bounding property and add your own room separation lines to the model. Room separation lines even worked when grouped as we use them all the time in our space planning of systems furniture groups.

HTH

Tom

Login to Give a bone

Looks to me like your problem is somewhere along that west wall.

Can't quite see in your jpg, but is there a door just above the closet at the south? It looks like just above that door something is shooting out which may be causing your problem.
    Try Zooming way in & looking at where the red bounding lines turn. There may be an extra wall or a missed-joined wall in there somewhere.

Also, just out of curiosity, what's that area just to the left of your text note? you shouldn't be having a "hole" in the middle of a room unless you put it there. Ditto for the east edge. I see Room Bounding lines, but no Walls!

I've found I get in trouble if I start sticking in Room Separation Lines instead of fixing the real problem. Sooner or later, you go to add or move another wall & now you've got a Room Separation line splitting you room where you don't want it. Since the Room Sep Lines are usually not Visible, they are a bear to find. Especially if someone else drew them.