Thread: vertical line against ref plane

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Question vertical line against work plane & section snapping

Since Revit doesn't use xyz UCS system, how to draw a vertical line against/perpendicular to the work plane? I need to make an axis line in creating revolved mass. Revit doesn't provide rotate 3D tools, too, right? Once more, I didn't find object snap when I place a section. How if I wanna make a section from the midpoint exactly?Thanks.
    Last edited by iffans; 2005-06-20 at 05:04 AM. Reason: wrong word & additional question

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: vertical line against ref plane

Quote Originally Posted by iffans
    ...I need to make an axis line in creating revolved mass. Revit doesn't provide rotate 3D tools, too, right?
    A profile of a revolve is created in the same plane as the axis is. You need to create a view that looks at your work from the appropriate angle. A column for example would be done from a front or side view, you would sketch the shape of the column and define the axis in the same view. You only need to draw half of the profile.

A column is done as a family typically so there are already named reference planes in the family template to create the geometry on. In a project you'd need to add a reference plane to define the workplane for the column to exist on.

What are you attempting to do? That would help us explain what you need...

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: vertical line against ref plane

I try to make a dome. And I face problem in defining the axis of the rotation. It should be drawn in the center of the room, vertical against the work plane, right? When I try to draw axis from the section view, I can't make a section exactly cut middle to middle wall due to the absence of the snap.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: vertical line against ref plane

Firstly draw a reference plane in the center of the room. ( Use dimensions EQ to move it exactly to the center.

Next select the solid revolve tool, select workplane and pick the reference plane you just placed. Go to the appropriate view. Next, select axis. Place the axis and dimension as before to center it. Now draw the revolve profile. Finish sketch. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by iffans
    I try to make a dome. And I face problem in defining the axis of the rotation. It should be drawn in the center of the room, vertical against the work plane, right? When I try to draw axis from the section view, I can't make a section exactly cut middle to middle wall due to the absence of the snap.