See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dimension text height won't change

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimension text height won't change

I do save the drawing, and the font is Arial. "Standard" & "WD" revert back to .125 height each time I open a drawing, while all other styles stay at 0. What conflicts can be caused by "Standard?"
    Last edited by mike.finch793505; 2012-01-18 at 09:00 PM. Reason: reply to 2nd question

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mike.finch793505 View Post
    I do save the drawing, and the font is Arial. "Standard" & "WD" revert back to .125 height each time I open a drawing, while all other styles stay at 0.
    Note the difference between text style and dimension style. It's the text style height that should be set to zero so that it can be controlled by the dimension style.

What conflicts can be caused by "Standard?"
    Different people using the same style name but apply different formatting and properties. Your Standard text style might use Arial Bold at 1" height; if you insert a drawing from elsewhere, it might use Standard text style with 0.125 high RomanS font. The text in the inserted drawing will use YOUR definition which will screw up the text placement.

Login to Give a bone

Think of STANDARD as autocad's shorthand for "I don't know what the heck I want". there _has_ to be something there, so adesk uses standard for any style name, be it text, dimensions, tables, or c3d objects.

Using "STANDARD" as the name of anything you use for drawing is a sure fire way to run into conflicts with other people who use STANDARD as their name, but have a different standard. (Gad I love standards, there are so many to pick from

Login to Give a bone

We usually start AutoCAD Electrical drawing packages from a previous job that was most similar to the new job. There are too many of these old packages (many in read-only archives) to correct now, so I'm looking for a solution that I can run each time we start a new job. These have "Standard" style in all drawings and most have an "Arial" style. Many also have an "Roman" style that has had the font changed to Arial. Is there a script I could run that would merge certain styles into a common "Arial" style, creating that style if it doesn't already exist? Thanks.

As I was trying "-style" command to accomplish the above task, I realized a script I often run to clean up drawings sets some styles. I opened it up and found that it was changing the style height to 0.125. That is fixed now.

Login to Give a bone

I realized a script I often run to clean up drawings sets some styles. I opened it up and found that it was changing the style height to 0.125. That is fixed now.
    Bingo! One less problem.

Login to Give a bone

We usually start AutoCAD Electrical drawing packages from a previous job that was most similar to the new job. There are too many of these old packages (many in read-only archives) to correct now, so I'm looking for a solution that I can run each time we start a new job. These have "Standard" style in all drawings and most have an "Arial" style. Many also have an "Roman" style that has had the font changed to Arial. Is there a script I could run that would merge certain styles into a common "Arial" style, creating that style if it doesn't already exist? Thanks.
    Create a new template file with all the styles that you want already created.
    When starting a new project, don't just open an existing file and save it to a new name - start a new file from the new template then insert the existing file into that. [Modelspace objects].
    From there you can, for example, change existing text objects to your new style. You can choose to automate the process, you could use the standards manager.

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Think of STANDARD as autocad's shorthand for "I don't know what the heck I want".
    Good words!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I just solve the problem, this is the same problem I was facing
    follow step by step:
    1. go to text style
    select standard, unchech associate, set text height to 0, click apply, then close
    2. now to go dimstyle, you will see its text style is changing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12