Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splitting Buildings

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Splitting Buildings

Because we are working on a large project, about 83.000 m2 I was wondering if it’s possible to split up the building in about 8 parts but still have 1 database. If it is, then more people can work on the drawing at the same time without requesting changes all the time.

Are any of you working like this?

Regards,

Bas Obdam

I could stop if I wanted to roy.70844's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Splitting Buildings

Not sure what you mean by splitting the building.
    You can use worksets to allow multiple users to work on the same project at the same time. I would advise that you either work through some tutorials or even better, get some professional training before setting up worksets on such a project. It's not that it's difficult to use, but having a sound idea on the underlying concepts will allow you to avoid any problems caused by lack of knowledge.

This post is sounding way too negative but I do not have the time to compose something more uplifting....

Embrace Worksets... You know it makes sense!

Roy.

PS It's Friday and I feel a bit strange..........

"Rock-n-Roll Architect" SCShell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hey there,
    If you are asking if you can take a plan that does not fit on the sheet because it too large, split it into smaller plans to place on other sheets, then, ......survey says....Yes!

Use the crop view and click on the boundry's split symbol and play with it there to set your plan view sizes. As far as work sets go, I can't help you there.

Good Luck
    Steve

Login to Give a bone

It sounds like you need more experiance and planning on workset useage. With proper setup, conflicts between users as things are check in and out should be minimal.

Login to Give a bone

I'm sorry for not being clear. My english isn't that well. What i'm looking for is a way to split up a buidling in parts. When we keep all the data in one file, it get's to large to work in because our project is about 83.000m². We would like the options to have a part A, part B, part C etc...but keep all the schedules, sheets and legends in a central file.

I hope you'll understand out problem now.

Bas Obdam

Login to Give a bone

How many Mb is the file?

Login to Give a bone

Because we are currently still in the design stage it's about 30mb, but if we want to make work drawings in the same file, it will easily grow.

I could stop if I wanted to cosmickingpin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You do have afew options, worksets is one and links are another. Yes you will have muliltple users, and one central data base for scheduling You can take several approcahes to splitting up the project in worksets or links; one would be to split it up by a project logic, meaning this is wing A, this is wing B, etc... another approach would be to split it up according to object type. Exterior building shell, Interior, site features, Structure, etc... another approach (and this would be the trickest) would be to split it up according to your project team, this has the most potiental to becoming hairy (confusing, messed up) meaning person A has a workset, person b, another and little logic as to what is one what workset, expect that each user has acces to only his or her own area. I would recommed using a hybrid of the first two approaches if there is some design logic to splitting up the building. What I mean is, split the area up into logical sections, A,B,C, whatever, then divide it further into divisions like part A exterior, part A Interior, Part A structural. KISS Keep it simple sucker! figure out what will be the easiest to manage with your workflow, KEEP EVERYONE aware of their worksets! Make sure you know what you are doing, Spend some time reading up on it and look throught the worksets forum to see what kinds of issues people have.

Quote Originally Posted by bas_obdam
    I'm sorry for not being clear. My english isn't that well. What i'm looking for is a way to split up a buidling in parts. When we keep all the data in one file, it get's to large to work in because our project is about 83.000m². We would like the options to have a part A, part B, part C etc...but keep all the schedules, sheets and legends in a central file.

I hope you'll understand out problem now.

Bas Obdam

Login to Give a bone

30 mb? No big deal. I work on project above 60 Mb all day long. No problem. Worksets are all you'll need.

I could stop if I wanted to Nic M.'s Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Bas,

Worksets is the way to go.
    You can link a revit file in an other but you wont be able to schedule.

It depends on project nature and office ways of working, how to setup the different worksets.
    There are some "rule of thumb" from more experienced users on how you can set them up. Look in the "worksharing/workset" sub-forum

Once a project divided in worksets you can't go back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast