Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dimension background plotting black

Login to Give a bone

Angry Dimension background plotting black

Hello everyone,
    New to the forum here, been spending my time in the Swamp but alas, I cannot find the answers to the issues I have. Perhaps the meat is too thick ... I dunno.

So, here is a question to one of my many problems: (I know, this is not group therapy, but not to fret, this is not a psychological problem I am having, ... yet anyway)
    I'm running Vanilla 2005 with the wonderful feature of background fill colors for dimension text. Great !!! However, when I plot the dwg, I get black rectangles where the text should be. Another words, the background fill is plotting black, you can't read the dimension.
    I have tried the background, a fill color of 2%, textmasking doesn't work unless I explode the dimension string (EVIL) ... I don't know what else to do.
    I have three different plotters and printers and the same thing happens with all three.

Can someone help me troubleshoot this dilemma ??? Please

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimension background plotting black

Hi

Can you please post an example drawing file that exhibits this particular issue / problem so we can carry out tests using an actual drawing file that does not work for you...

Have a good one, Mike

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

You can't mask text in a dim. I saw a work around trick some where awhile back. I'll try to think were I saw it and get back to you. Sorry.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mlynn
    You can't mask text in a dim. I saw a work around trick some where awhile back. I'll try to think were I saw it and get back to you. Sorry.
    Hi

Sorry I am going to have to disagree with that comment...

AutoCAD 2005 introuduced Masking to Dimension Text.

Below is taken from an AutoCAD 2005 review by JTB World -
    MTEXT and Dimension text now supports background fill/mask capability.
    Below is taken from an AutoCAD 2005 review by DotSoft -
    Mtext Improvements: You can now add a background mask on mtext (and dimensions) to hide geometry that would normally pass through it (making it unreadable). Its tied to the object, moves with it, and grows or shrinks with the annotation.

Mtext also has been improved with additional symbols for items like centerline, delta, flow lines, ohm, property line, etc
    Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Mike, Not quite sure how this works, I don't know how to post a pic like you did above and I don't know where the uploads go to. So, I'm uploading a dwg-w-dim.zip file. Within this zip you will find a dwg-w-dim.jpg. this pic shows two dim strings with a background fill. the next file is a dwg-w-dim-plt.jpg. This pic shows the plot preview and, sure enough, it comes out the printer the exact same way (reversed that is, this is a negative of what is printed) And the last file is a 2004 dwg of the same.

If you have a minute, please look these over. <and give me a clue on how to post a pic on this thing>

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronw.90632
    Mike, Not quite sure how this works, I don't know how to post a pic like you did above and I don't know where the uploads go to. So, I'm uploading a dwg-w-dim.zip file. Within this zip you will find a dwg-w-dim.jpg. this pic shows two dim strings with a background fill. the next file is a dwg-w-dim-plt.jpg. This pic shows the plot preview and, sure enough, it comes out the printer the exact same way (reversed that is, this is a negative of what is printed) And the last file is a 2004 dwg of the same.

If you have a minute, please look these over. <and give me a clue on how to post a pic on this thing>

Thanks.
    What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want a clear background, or do you want to use a colored box behind the text?

If you want a clear background, in your dim style box, set the fill color to background. I have never tried to use a color, so I am not sure how it works, but I'll take a peek at it, and see if I can figure it out.

If you are still having problems, let us know.

As for posting drawings, jpgs, etc, do it the same way you uploaded the zip file. If you look down past the text box when you are responding, you will see additional options, one of them being "manage attachments". There you can add various file types, listed there.

Login to Give a bone

Brenda, As I mentioned before, I've tried background. I've tried fill. I've tried dink'n with the printers & plotter. (I have three printers & plotter & I get the same results with all three) Which leads me to believe it's not the printers &/or plotter. I've looked at the Autodesk knowledge base to find something about the PC3 file but it doesn't apply to this issue. I've tried textmasking. (The express tools textmask does not work with the dim strings) And I've exploded the dimension string so I get a dtext entity just so I can textmask it so I can read the dimension.

If your system is working flawlessly, tell me how your system is setup so I can duplicate it.

Login to Give a bone

Here is a pair of pics using background, not fill.
    The first is a jpg with an mtext and a dim string, both using background. Not fill as was the first set of pics.
    The second jpg shows the result of a plot with the background used. It is identical to the fill, one large black box on a white piece of paper when printed.

As I said, background isn't work'n. Fill isn't work'n. I'm not work'n.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronw.90632
    Brenda, As I mentioned before, I've tried background. I've tried fill. I've tried dink'n with the printers & plotter. (I have three printers & plotter & I get the same results with all three) Which leads me to believe it's not the printers &/or plotter. I've looked at the Autodesk knowledge base to find something about the PC3 file but it doesn't apply to this issue. I've tried textmasking. (The express tools textmask does not work with the dim strings) And I've exploded the dimension string so I get a dtext entity just so I can textmask it so I can read the dimension.

If your system is working flawlessly, tell me how your system is setup so I can duplicate it.

I can simply tell you that I took your drawing, applied a background text mask in the dimension style dialog box and it worked flawlessly. In the drawing, in the plot preview and on paper.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of printers are you using?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Ok Brenda, Now we're getting somewhere. It has got to be in some plotter & printer configuration some where.
    I have a Xerox XES Synergix 8825
    I have a Ricoh Aficio 1232C
    I have an HP 8000 N Laserjet

This issue is happening with all three of these.

Is there something in the PC3 file or other config file that you can think of or see that I should be aware of ???
    I've gone through the profile options with a fine tooth comb but I'm not finding anything that stands out and says It'll print black boxes if checked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast