Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does it ever stop??

Login to Give a bone

Default Does it ever stop??

Okay, i have been using Revit for a while, (no where as long as some of the contributers here have of course.). I am fairly confident in saying that at the moment the productivity levels on the Revit projects is well surpassing the traditional CAD projects by a mile.

I was feeling pretty confident in what i thought i could acheive with this software, our template is coming along smoothly, our family libraries are getting better and better and generally the "smoothness" of runing our projects was increasing as we learned more and could pass it on to the staff. And the staff in general getting better at working with this.

However, after feeling fairly confident and much of a "know it all" in thinking we were coming fairly close to a ceiling with the capabilities of this software, i recently had the opportunity to see one of the "Augi Big Daugs" at work ( no names). Whilst i thought i had immersed myself completely and understood what all the tools could do, i found myself feeling very much again like a novice. Whilst i knew what the features could do, i was amazed at seeing the potential in features i had been using but not to their full capabilities, not too mention features i didn;t even know existed.. I realised again that as far as ceilings go with this software i really can't see it at all.

Anyway, suppose my question is simple. is there a point with Revit where you can become familiar enough with it to no longer be surprised with what it can do? After a year i would have thought the surprises would have stopped.

I could stop if I wanted to Shaun v Rooyen's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Does it ever stop??

Just keep on keepin' on

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

3 Years in and I still feel like there is a whole lot of stuff I need to know about - and some things I havent even tried yet....

Login to Give a bone

since release 1 and still in awe!!! Massing and Building maker are the next on my horizon to master and fully take advantage of.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

yes I have also been using it for just over a year now, and consider myself pretty good at it, but I know there's still alot of stuff I don't know very well. I know at my office, we really haven't used the massing tools that much, or site tools, although the site tools being lacking in many things the way they are, we have kind of shyed away from it.

I hope to continue to learn lots more. I also hope that if I ever end up at a different firm, that if they aren't already using Revit that I would be able to convince them to get it.

I could stop if I wanted to cosmickingpin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Well I have been using it for about three and a half years now, and I am still surprising myself and co-workers with the nuances and sophistication Revit allows one to achieve. Revit really allows for a one systems delivery and with the exceptions of Photoshop/ Illustrator, or Premiere, you really don't need any other software to be an Architect. it allows your designers to be designers, your detailers to be detailers, and have them all working on the same file at the same time, that alone makes for better production than cavemane-cad. Even as a 2d system, and were one to use it as stricly a 2d system, revit would outperform CAD because of worksets, area planning, components and families all by themselves, now add the third dimension and you have warp drive here. There is always new stuff to master, and you are always learning new things, even the "Top Dawgs" don't always have the answers, and still can pick up a thing or two from a "novice" like yourself. So don't be intimidated by the complexity and the richness of the platform, that is just the springboard. Make a target list of new features and capacities you want to explore, set goals, that is the only way to keep up. I don't want the supprises to stop, when they do, its time to start looking for the next system.

Quote Originally Posted by rod.74246
    Okay, i have been using Revit for a while, (no where as long as some of the contributers here have of course.). I am fairly confident in saying that at the moment the productivity levels on the Revit projects is well surpassing the traditional CAD projects by a mile.

I was feeling pretty confident in what i thought i could acheive with this software, our template is coming along smoothly, our family libraries are getting better and better and generally the "smoothness" of runing our projects was increasing as we learned more and could pass it on to the staff. And the staff in general getting better at working with this.

However, after feeling fairly confident and much of a "know it all" in thinking we were coming fairly close to a ceiling with the capabilities of this software, i recently had the opportunity to see one of the "Augi Big Daugs" at work ( no names). Whilst i thought i had immersed myself completely and understood what all the tools could do, i found myself feeling very much again like a novice. Whilst i knew what the features could do, i was amazed at seeing the potential in features i had been using but not to their full capabilities, not too mention features i didn;t even know existed.. I realised again that as far as ceilings go with this software i really can't see it at all.

Anyway, suppose my question is simple. is there a point with Revit where you can become familiar enough with it to no longer be surprised with what it can do? After a year i would have thought the surprises would have stopped.

"Rock-n-Roll Architect" SCShell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cosmickingpin.67846
    There is always new stuff to master, and you are always learning new things, even the "Top Dawgs" don't always have the answers, and still can pick up a thing or two from a "novice" like yourself..
    Could not agree more! I have got the "I stumped the chump" tee shirt to prove it. (Always another way to do something.)
    Steve

I could stop if I wanted to rodneyf's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have been using Revit for almost three years and the program amazes me every day. Just this morning I was helping a co-worker with roofs and I told that person to go ahead and try this weird bay type roof and see if it can do it and sure enough it did. So again don't ever give up and sit back and enjoy the ride.

Login to Give a bone

No.

Especially now with an API to think about.

I've been at this five years, and I still come across things daily that I didn't know about or uses I hadn't thought of.

But don't worry about it, just take what is useful and develop from there to form your own workflow...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Martin P
    3 Years in and I still feel like there is a whole lot of stuff I need to know about - and some things I havent even tried yet....
    I 'd agree with this comment 110%
    Cheers @blads
    Mac Geek | Building Design Suite 2020 | Semi-Retired Building Designer / CAD-BIM Trainer | Autodesk Certified Professional

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast