See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ADT or REVIT

Login to Give a bone

Default ADT or REVIT

I HAVE ADT 06 NOW IS REVIT 8 ANY BETTER OR WORTH THE PRICE?
    i UNDERSTAND IN A FEW YEARS THAT THEIR WILL NOT BE ANY MORE ADT?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ADT or REVIT

Quote Originally Posted by bata212.42467
    ADT & Revit are 2 totally different programs for doing different things.
    ADT is what I call Object Drawing. Instead of 2D linework, you're drawing 3D objects.
    Revit is full parametric modeling geared towards a BIM model.

I've heard nothing of this talk from Autodesk. I don't know where people keep hearing that ADT will be disappearing in a few years. There is such a huge user base that it will continue to be developed. I've heard nothing of this talk from Autodesk.

You can obtain a free 30 day trial of either platform from your local reseller & determine for your self what you would prefer.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: ADT or REVIT

Thanks, I have heard that ADT will be phasing out from a Cad dealer probably in 08.
    thanks

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, I have heard that ADT will be phasing out from a Cad dealer probably in 08.
    thanks
    Actually this is just a rumor. That's not to say it won't be phased out eventually, but it's likely it will still be around in one flavor or another for many more years.

I've talked with several people at Autodesk and they all agree they hope to market both products for some time. You might be thinking: why? On the surface they are attacking the same customer base, but in reality they really are focusing on different areas within the architectural community. This can be confusing since you may have two companies, both in the same field, using these different products both to great success. In reality this is focused on how you do your work, current standards, drawing libraries, employees available in your area, the level of design work completed by your employees, etc.

In short: there are situations where having ADT may meet your needs better than having Revit and vice-versa... many companies even have both!

But Autodesk has made it clear that Revit is the future of architectural design with it's true BIM environment... and they are right. But it's also important to remember that there are so many different branches of design out there that Autodesk has yet to really focus on! Some people have found that Inventor works better for them when working on Pre-Manufactured housing structures. True they are producing the walls of a house, but they are made in a manufacturing environment which is better suited for Inventor. This is the same logic for why AutoCAD is still so widely used... it's the best program to meet the needs of the masses of design professionals. Most "design professionals" in Architecture that are using ADT use it as an add-on tool to facilitate their work on AutoCAD... and that won't change for a long time (at least not as long as AutoCAD's environment meets their company needs).

Finally the growing logic is that employers will begin to change their definition of what they are looking for in employees over the next 5-10 years.. a change that has already begun. There was a time when employees were hired for their software knowledge but in time people began to realize that knowledge of software didn't always equal knowledge of the industry. Now the philosophy is that if your employee has had any previous CAD experience then they should be able to adapt to a different CAD environment in a short period of time. It's the level of knowledge that employee possesses that is important!

Programs like Inventor and Revit... programs associated with a true "Information Modeling" environment... are the future. But as their name implies they are not here for "Computer Aided Design" like AutoCAD but for "Information Modeling". In other words, the software and computer will no longer be as important as the Information contained within the design environment. Notice I said "Design Environment". 10 years from now "drawings" will begin to become obsolete (the process has already begun) and the "design environment" or "virtual model" will contain all the information needed to complete the construction of whatever needs to be produced.

Really in short: Choose the program that meets your needs TODAY. 10 years from now it really won't matter (much) which program you've chosen but the design knowledge of the people you've hired and the way they use widely available data will be the most important factor of your organization's success.

Login to Give a bone

To answer your original question: It depends on how you use the program and the direction your firm is heading.... Both programs are very functional depending on how you wish to use them. The growing thought is that Revit will likely work well for most people just starting architectural cad and for people that do lots of Design work. If you have an extensive AutoCAD background and are less focused on design than construction documents then ADT may be a better fit. ADT may also be a better fit if you do more "free form" or complicated curtain wall designs. Revit is better for those wanting to work in a BIM environment and likely better if you want to complete your projects in 3D.

But all this can be argued as both programs can and will get the job done for you. I'd recommend either a long conversation with a local dealer, going to a local User Group meeting, or explaining in detail the set-up your company currently uses and the kind of work you produce. There are pluses and minuses to using each program and a blanket statement of "which is better" simply isn't enough detail for a good answer. For now I'd say Revit is worth the money.... but ADT might be worth the money for you too depending on what you do and how you use it.

So it was a good (and often asked!) question and it may take a fair amount of discussion to really determine what's the best fit for you.

Take care and good luck in the process!
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 2005-07-25 at 11:50 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: ADT or REVIT

Thank you.
    i have seen the REVIT at a Gpaug meeting and liked what I seen.
    I might opt to bump up so they call it to keep ADT.
    I DONT have a big company I do the Cad work from a home based business.
    thanks

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bmyers
    10 years from now "drawings" will begin to become obsolete (the process has already begun) and the "design environment" or "virtual model" will contain all the information needed to complete the construction of whatever needs to be produced.
    The new American standards for Steel Fabrication now include a clause that states that the 3D Information Model, if present, actually can supersede the drawings on a job.

Add to that the GSA looking to get it's feet wet with IFC and BIM models, and all the effort Autodesk is putting into 2D/3D DWF, and the future it looking very interesting indeed.

But then I've always wanted to go straight from model to building, and have wanted to work that way since I started in Architecture.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: ADT or REVIT

So I guess I will have to wait it out.
    I liked what I seen in REVIT BUT DONT Really see a big difference besides the BIM.
    Revit is going to add electrical then HVAC etc. witch is really a pain. Why don't they make 1 completed package?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey McGrew
    But then I've always wanted to go straight from model to building, and have wanted to work that way since I started in Architecture.
    In related news I've read a couple articles that said Autodesk just hired Kathleen Liston to head up a new team to create model-based construction management solutions. One of the programs she's worked on is here and I'm sure it caught Autodesk's interest (4D Modeling):

http://www.commonpointinc.com/products/project4d.html

In short, her specialty is software that tracks and organizes the building process and aids in scheduling and coordination of the work contractors will provide.

So it looks like Autodesk may finally be hitting a big market... Design/Build and Project Management..... her "4D" modeling could easily be targeted at project management and lead to better coordination between what happens in the office and how things are actually produced in the field. It's a huge transitional step into the BIM world where "Real-Time" or "Virtual" data can be used for anything from construction documentation to material take-offs to facilities management. In Autodesk's case this could result in software that likely will be used outside of the Architect's office but could directly link back to the design data to contain the entire scope of the project. Perhaps it could even link to Buzzsaw to tie the transmission of data and project management information back to the designers, construction & building managers, etc in real time.

Obviously this is a big jump in logic and it will start likely as a stand-alone program, but it's a big first step toward an area that Autodesk has largely overlooked, how to tie BIM into the actual construction process (which is the ultimate goal of the BIM environment). The future looks bright!

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: ADT or REVIT

Thanks for the info. sounds like you and the others really keep abreast of things.
    I have a lot to consider since I have to run a home based business. I have ADT 06 now and Just received a sample of Building systems05.
    Thanks
    Bob Kennelly

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast