Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Menus vs. Toolbars

Login to Give a bone

Question Menus vs. Toolbars

Hi everyone,

This may be a stupid question to ask but I was wondering what is the advantage of creating a customized menu vs. creating a customized toolbar or visa verse? Both can be customized to have the same functions is it just a space issue?

I am just trying to understand when it is necessary or beneficial to create a menu or a toolbar. I hope I am making some sense.

TIA

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Menus vs. Toolbars

Quote Originally Posted by ljones.27809
    Hi everyone,

This may be a stupid question to ask but I was wondering what is the advantage of creating a customized menu vs. creating a customized toolbar or visa verse? Both can be customized to have the same functions is it just a space issue?

I am just trying to understand when it is necessary or beneficial to create a menu or a toolbar. I hope I am making some sense.

TIA
    By menu, I assume you are talking about pull down menus?

Personally, I hardly ever use menus. I find it much easier just to click a button or type in a command. I think it is all a matter of personal preference. We have users here who only use menus, and it just seems like it takes so much longer to navigate to the command you want. ~shrug~ I'd have to say personal preference would be the deciding factor...

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

It depends on the situation. When I am doing menu customization for clients I add all the commands to the pull-down menu and the ones that I feel are going to be used the most of a toolbar. Toolbars do take up more room, but are easier to access though. If the tool will be used often more than once in a session of AutoCAD or a drawing that is when it should be on a toolbar in my opinion.

Login to Give a bone

Yes I am referring to pull down menus sorry about that. Thank you all for your replies they have helped.

Login to Give a bone

(disclaimer: I hardly use pulldowns)

MENU:
    With a pulldown menu and diesel you can make close to a "live" menu.
    I have written into mine a listing of settings. If I click that setting it will toggle it ON or OFF. If ON then it will have a check mark by it.
    Code:
      ID_mbuttpan [$(if,$(getvar,mbuttonpan),!.)&Middle Button Pan]'mbuttonpan  $M=$(-,1,$(getvar,mbuttonpan))
    Or

You can have the menu say the current value.
    Code:
      ID_ISavePer  [$(eval,&Incremental Save:) $(getvar,isavepercent) %]^C^Cisavepercent
    but they are slow to use.

TOOLBARS:
    Toolbar are easy, can place them anywhere on the screen. But you have to make ICONS.

AND THE FORGOTTEN KEYBOARD INPUT:
    Easiest to use for me. But may be hard to remember all the commands and defined commands.

Login to Give a bone

Hi

If you are using AutoCAD 2004 or above, have you looked at Tool Palettes... just another customization avenue to think about.

Have a good one, Mike

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I am using both toolbars and menus.

I use the toolbars for frequently used commands.

The menu is a great place to
    remind me of some of the custom commands I do not use frequently.
    Last edited by Robert.Hall; 2005-07-27 at 05:14 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I think it makes sense to use the menus for less frequent and hard to remember commands and the toolbars for frequently used commands.

We are currently using AutoCAD R14 but we are upgrading to ABS 2006 in a couple of months so I have not used Tool Palettes what are the differences between Tool Palettes and Toolbars?

I could stop if I wanted to LanceMcHatton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

what are the differences between Tool Palettes and Toolbars?
    Honestly, I have been struggling with the necessity of Tool Palettes myself. From what I have learned, Tool Palettes and Toolbars are very similar but Tool Palettes have some different functionality. Tool Palettes take up a good deal of space on your screen when they're open. However, you can set it up so that it minimizes when you're not using them. It also has tabs on it so you can select one of MANY tool groups without having them take up more space. Going from one tab to another would be similar to turning off a toolbar and turning another one on, only it takes a lot less from you. Also, as I understand it, you can place a bunch of tools on a single tab without the tab getting any bigger because it has a scroll bar. If you keep adding buttons to a Toolbar, you keep losing real estate on your screen. Another thing is that the pictures are bigger and, therefore, more legible.

A disadvantage, I have found, with Tool Palettes, is that you can only have one Tool Palette up at a time. For example, if you have made a residential land development palette and a commercial land development palette, you will have to close one before opening the other. Or you could just combine them into one palette but that may produce too many tabs for comfortable use. There may be ways around this but it sounds cumbersome.

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong on anything.

Login to Give a bone

We are currently using AutoCAD R14 but we are upgrading to ABS 2006 in a couple of months so I have not used Tool Palettes what are the differences between Tool Palettes and Toolbars?
    Hi

When the time is right, work through the Tool Palette links found in this post for starters.

Have a good one, Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast