Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xref Titleblock - Xref visretain set to 0 and another Xref set to 1

Login to Give a bone

Default Xref Titleblock - Xref visretain set to 0 and another Xref set to 1

I'm currently trying to build some new standards and I've decided the best thing to do is to Xref the titleblock into our drawings. Ideally, I would want the titleblock "Visretain" value set to 0 so that I can save the particular settings and it would be set for all my files. However, I prefer "Visretain" set to 1 so that when I Xref floor plans and stuff, I can gray them out and turn all layers and it will always remember that each time I open the file. Is there a way to have one Xref visretain set to 0 and another Xref set to 1?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Xref Titleblock - Xref visretain set to 0 and another Xref set to 1

Quote Originally Posted by gjburkett
    I'm currently trying to build some new standards and I've decided the best thing to do is to Xref the titleblock into our drawings. Ideally, I would want the titleblock "Visretain" value set to 0 so that I can save the particular settings and it would be set for all my files. However, I prefer "Visretain" set to 1 so that when I Xref floor plans and stuff, I can gray them out and turn all layers and it will always remember that each time I open the file. Is there a way to have one Xref visretain set to 0 and another Xref set to 1?
    I don't believe that system variable is xref dependent. I believe the visretain is an all or nothing type variable.

Richard
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by richardl.25628
    I don't believe that system variable is xref dependent. I believe the visretain is an all or nothing type variable.
    Hi

Just to echo what Richard has said above...

System variable VisRetain is a per drawing file setting.

Xref's that are brought into a drawing file "Master" behave based on the VisRetain setting of the "Master" drawing file.

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the replies guys. That's what I figured. I was hoping that I was wrong and you could set each file individually, but oh well. I think I found a work around though. I'm going to rely on layer states a lot more than I wanted to.

Login to Give a bone

You could create a custom routine to set visretain to 0, reload the titleblock xref, then set visretain back to 1.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

I could stop if I wanted to LanceMcHatton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'm currently trying to build some new standards and I've decided the best thing to do is to Xref the titleblock into our drawings. Ideally, I would want the titleblock "Visretain" value set to 0 so that I can save the particular settings and it would be set for all my files.
    One thing you may want to consider (and maybe you're already doing this) is split up the titleblock into two (or more) different files. The parts that change are a BLOCK (perhaps with atributes) and the parts that do not change are an XREF.

I don't know if that helps with your specific situation but there you go.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by LMcHatton
    One thing you may want to consider (and maybe you're already doing this) is split up the titleblock into two (or more) different files. The parts that change are a BLOCK (perhaps with atributes) and the parts that do not change are an XREF.

I don't know if that helps with your specific situation but there you go.
    LMcHatton, I've been thinking about what you said and I still don't see how that would beneficial. If the parts that change are a BLOCK, I would still need to update each file. I trying to prevent this so that I just have to updat the titleblock file once and it will be updated for all files. The only way I know to do this (that I know) is to set the visretain to 0. However, that messes up my other XREFs like floor plans and other files. Saving layer states won't even save the XREF layers if visretain is set to 0. So far, I've concluded that the only way to do this is to only have the titleblock XREFed in (no other file) and set the visretain to 0 or update each individual file with the various methods that one could do.

Login to Give a bone

LMcHatton, I've been thinking about what you said and I still don't see how that would beneficial. If the parts that change are a BLOCK, I would still need to update each file. I trying to prevent this so that I just have to updat the titleblock file once and it will be updated for all files. The only way I know to do this (that I know) is to set the visretain to 0. However, that messes up my other XREFs like floor plans and other files. Saving layer states won't even save the XREF layers if visretain is set to 0. So far, I've concluded that the only way to do this is to only have the titleblock XREFed in (no other file) and set the visretain to 0 or update each individual file with the various methods that one could do.
    What types of items will be changing on your titleblock? Do you add layers / linetypes to your titleblock for different aspects of your drawings?

I am having trouble understanding your need for the visretain variable be changed to 0. The variable is used to control the properties of the layers located within the eXternal REFerence drawing. If you change the colors or the linetypes of your titleblock, then you would need to adjust the visretain and reload the XREF as rkmcswain suggested.

Just $0.02.
    Richard
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by richardl.25628
    What types of items will be changing on your titleblock? Do you add layers / linetypes to your titleblock for different aspects of your drawings?

I am having trouble understanding your need for the visretain variable be changed to 0. The variable is used to control the properties of the layers located within the eXternal REFerence drawing. If you change the colors or the linetypes of your titleblock, then you would need to adjust the visretain and reload the XREF as rkmcswain suggested.

Just $0.02.
    Richard
    Thanks, Richard. Let me try to explain what changes. For example, things like turning our architect's seal on when the sets are complete or having a "not for construction" label when they're not done yet. So let's say I'm going along with all my sheets having the "not for construction" label on my titleblock. Then, let's say a project is complete and now I would like to turn off the "not for construction" label and turn on the seal. Instead of going to every sheet and doing this, I would like to set it up so that I just have to do it to the titleblock file one time and all the sheets will appear correctly. Does that help explain it better?

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, Richard. Let me try to explain what changes. For example, things like turning our architect's seal on when the sets are complete or having a "not for construction" label when they're not done yet. So let's say I'm going along with all my sheets having the "not for construction" label on my titleblock. Then, let's say a project is complete and now I would like to turn off the "not for construction" label and turn on the seal. Instead of going to every sheet and doing this, I would like to set it up so that I just have to do it to the titleblock file one time and all the sheets will appear correctly. Does that help explain it better?
    How about this. (I trying to brainstorm with you a little.)

Why not xref the seal into your titleblock on a layer that will always be on in your titleblock. Then unload the seal xref in the titleblock drawing. Then when you are ready to go to final drawings, you open the titleblock drawing, reload the seal xref and then go to print.

Just a thought.
    jUSt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast