Thread: Recreate hatch boundary.

Login to Give a bone

Default Recreate hatch boundary.

Is there a setting to create a closed polyline instead of broken polylines?

I am trying to recreate a boundary of a hatch pattern. When I do, I sometimes get a closed polyline for the boundary, and others several open polylines for the boundary.

It doesn't seem to be consistant. It probably is just a system variable that I am unaware of. Any help will be appreciated.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Recreate hatch boundary.

Hi

Guess...

HPGapTol

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, Mike.

I am still puzzled. The drawing I was in created a closed pline for one hatch, then created a group of open plines for the next one.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Recreate hatch boundary.

Quote Originally Posted by richardl.25628
    I am still puzzled. The drawing I was in created a closed pline for one hatch, then created a group of open plines for the next one.
    Hi

Is it possible the Hatch Pattern in question (Recreated Hatch Boundary is made up of open PLines), had a HPGapTol value set when original created?

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

I'm just guessing, could it be whether you use point or object for hatching?

A object hatch is a defined boundary, where a point hatch, acad has to search for the boundaries

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi

Is it possible the Hatch Pattern in question (Recreated Hatch Boundary is made up of open PLines), had a HPGapTol value set when original created?

Have a good one, Mike
    I don't think the hpgaptol was used. I believe the hatch was original created with a closed boundary, just not a closed polyline. It's no big deal, just annoying.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by varak35
    I'm just guessing, could it be whether you use point or object for hatching?

A object hatch is a defined boundary, where a point hatch, acad has to search for the boundaries
    That is a good point. I am not 100% certain the procedures used to create the original hatch. I will have to look into that as well.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Hi

In the interest of science, what happens if you use HatchB.lsp from JTB World?

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

I have looked everywhere and can't find anything about how to get AutoCAD to generate a closed polyline. Most often I use this feature when I want to associate the hatch with the new boundary in order to change the hatch area. The problem is that when all the polylines are seperate, it is quite easy for the hatch to lose associativiy when working with the polylines. Most of the time it is too tedious to join them all together.

I have resorted to just creating a region boundary - at least it keeps it as one object. I really don't see the reasoning behind this option, however. Region boundaries can not be changed. If you try to grip edit a vertex, it ends up moving the whole thing, inluding the newly associated hatch. Now, if I wanted to just move the hatch I wouldn't have needed to recreate the boundary in the first place. With a region object you have to draw a modified boundary and then union/subtract it from your associated region. It's really a silly way to do it IMO, but it works.

Login to Give a bone

Answer to the following question:
    (I have looked everywhere and can't find anything about how to get AutoCAD to generate a closed polyline...).

Have you tried the command BOUNDARY? The BOUNDARY command creates a region or a polyline from an enclosed area.

Is this helpful?