Thread: Data Collection Link - Default Directory

Login to Give a bone

Default Data Collection Link - Default Directory

When I use Data Collection Link to download my survey data the software uses the path of the last place I stored a survey. When I used Softdesk 8, the default directory was automatically set to my current project but with the 2003, 2005 software it doesn't know what my current project is.

Is there a setting or file permission that needs to be changed so that the software knows what the active project is?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Data Collection Link - Default Directory

This seems to be a problem with a few other commands, as well (at least in 2004). For example, we place all coordinate files in an Survey folder in each project. I would like it if LDD changed the "current" folder for importing and exporting points to the Survey folder every time I open a new project, but there's no way to do this. This same problem also exists with a variety of other commands, such as Insert/Write Block, eTransmit, etc.

Net result is there is a lot of unnecessary (and annoying) navigation required.

The only thing that works "reasonably" is ASCII output that is configured by the "Output Settings" (Display Points, Mapcheck in the Parcel Manager, etc.). Of course, ASCII output has its own issues and problems. I've been kind of hoping a bunch of these issues go away in Civil 3D, which I haven't had a chance to use yet.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Data Collection Link - Default Directory

I went from AutoDesk R14 with Softdesk 8 which knew what project you were working in to AutoDesk 2003 software and ran into this problem. I've also noticed it with the Map Insert Image routine. I'm currently using 2005 and have the same issue. I doubt that 2006 will work any better but I'll find out in a few weeks.