View Poll Results: A speed/performance point release should occur

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • **** Absolutely, no point in adding new features if you can't use them efficiently

14 60.87%

5 21.74%

3 13.04%
  • * I own a supercomputer and it runs just fine

1 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed/Performance point release

Default Speed/Performance point release

I would like to see a point release sometime within the next 2 releases (9.1 or 10.1) which just deals with speed and performance, particularly when it comes to regenerating and printing sheets with shadows, 'cause DAMN... they are slow.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar

Default Re: Speed/Performance point release

I dunno Chad - do you think that possibly we really ARE constrained by hardware capabilities such as they are? I have no programming skillz but given the caliber of programmers at Revit if there was speed to be had, we'd have it? Isn't it the nature of the 3D bidirectional beast? I don't know, but I suspect...

Working plans and elevations are faster than they were in R6 -- I just opened it because a file wouldn't upgrade to 8.1 (mwahahaha) and wow, zooms and panning were slower.

All AUGI, all the time jbalding48677's Avatar

Chad -

I know that they work on speed issues in EVERY release, however, as Wes points out they can only deal with hardware that is out there.

I would vote in your poll but it seems as though all the answers are one sided; in support of your rant. Perhaps you could add - "I would prefer that they spend 10% more time on speed issues while delivering great improvements and new features" or something a little more objective?
    - JB

I could stop if I wanted to robmorfin's Avatar

I disagree with these issues being blamed on hardware, it is a programming issue, I am asking for the "you are comparing apples with bananas", Maya, 3DsMAX, truespace, Lightwave, Studio tools, Rhino, etc, etc, etc., sketchup, piranesi, are all programs designed with very fast visualization & regenerating speed even when models are complex, they work on the same Operating System as Revit (Windows), it is in the programming where the difference is.

When AutoCAD 13 for windows came out (shouldn't have) everybody hated it, it was very slow, so everybody went back to use AutoCAD 13 for MS-DOS, who was to be blamed? the hardware, when AutoCAD 14 came out everybody loved it, it was fast as in MS-DOS, the hardware was almost the same, if you had the latest hardware and still tried to use AutoCAD 13, it kept being slow, it was the programming and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by robmorfin
    ...sketchup, piranesi, are all programs designed with very fast visualization & regenerating speed even when models are complex, they work on the same Operating System as Revit (Windows), it is in the programming where the difference is.
    That's where I was coming from. I can understand if it takes a while to change a parameter for say a family, and it has to update all other instances and then other objects that are related, etc.

But the graphical/refreshing/printing performance is pretty poor. I'm sure a certain % of development time goes into performance and optimisation with each release, but I would like to see maybe 90% of development go into performance for just one release.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar

None of those programs are a database... that's a huge difference, don't you think? But who knows... perhaps there is a way to hop up the Parametric Change Engine

But surely having a database doesn't have any impact on the screen refresh performance or printing unless the database is actually changing? As I mentioned before, fair enough on a drop in performance if you are making an addition or modification.

AUGI Addict

It's a bit harsh blaming it on hardware. We've already got 4.8GHz dualcore machines out there now. How much power does Revit need to be responsive?

With AMD/Intel stating that future development is going to be multicore then we'd get an immediate bump in performance if Revit was multi-threaded.

I understand this is a significant programming problem but multicore support should be a priority IMO.

Guy

All AUGI, all the time jbalding48677's Avatar

My point was that they work on performance in every release and it would not make sense to dedicate an entire release to only performance. Could you imagine the uproar (similar to the 8.1 debate going on now) if they were to come out and say the only thing we did this past year was make it faster. For everone of us that need more speed, I bet there are 4 or more that don't. i.e. residential designers, TI work, small shops, etc. Hell, even some of our smaller stuff, we don't take a hit as is stands now.
    - JB

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Balding
    My point was that they work on performance in every release and it would not make sense to dedicate an entire release to only performance. Could you imagine the uproar (similar to the 8.1 debate going on now) if they were to come out and say the only thing we did this past year was make it faster. For everone of us that need more speed, I bet there are 4 or more that don't. i.e. residential designers, TI work, small shops, etc. Hell, even some of our smaller stuff, we don't take a hit as is stands now.

From my Point of view the 8.1 release has been The most useful release yet. Work sets are essential for us and before they were too slow Stc times were approaching 40 min and Saving only once or twice a day is not an option for us everyone needs to see these changes Immediately

Now on The Same project Stc times are under 5min. In a new Project we are not even dividing it into worksets don't need to, you Just don't check anything out Edit ability is totally transparent it is as if work sets are not enabled.
    I can't Thank the factory enough for this!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast