Thread: Windows @#$% update

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have a Dell 8200 with RDRAM and a nVidia video card. Revit likes my computer and the video card -- which is more than I can say for the ATI video card at the office.

I've got the latest video driver from Dell... but Redmond wants to put an "updated" and "digitally signed" driver on instead, which screws up the display in Revit utterly with OpenGL. I was working away, and all of a sudden I noticed that half my display was missing. Thoroughly annoyed, I checked the drivers, and sure enough, MS had put in their own driver, and if I have the Windows Update service running, MS crams this driver down my throat and installs it without my permission!

That ended my willingness to run that service. See ya Windows Update. Every time I connect to get updates, I specifically have to UNCHECK the video driver download, which MS deems to be a "critical" update.

Those of you who have video problems should check with the manufacturer of the computer to get video driver updates from them first, unless you've got a locally built computer, in which case you can usually go to the video card maker's website.

I could stop if I wanted to rhys's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Windows @#$% update

I agree a good tip not to let MS fix something that ain' broke. There do however seem to be more issues with v6 than 5 so far as video display is concerned. Did you ever get anthing from the factory about the prehighlighting and acceleration issue? It would also be helpful to have a list of cards and drivers that have been tested or used by Revit Developers. I seem to remember back in v2 - 3 days that Steve Burri posted such a list.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I haven't heard back yet - so, no news there. I agree that the video behaviour is a problem, albeit minor.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

hich is more than I can say for the ATI video card at the office
    I have a dell 5150 with an ATI 9000 . Make sure you are running the latest ATI drivers. Up until the last driver update (from dell in this case) it was quite unstable. Very stable now, overall performance isn't great though.

guy

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rhys
    It would also be helpful to have a list of cards and drivers that have been tested or used by Revit Developers. I seem to remember back in v2 - 3 days that Steve Burri posted such a list.
    Cyril Verley's "Introductory Courseware for Revit 5.1" has a list of Graphic Cards Supported and Not Supported ( as OpenGL hardware accelerator) .