See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Recommended desktops for Revit

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Recommended desktops for Revit

That's indeed what I mean: lines (and usually a lot of them, but not all at once) appear and disappear as you zoom in and out. It's easy to see when you use Ctrl and hold the mid mouse button down and move the mouse up and down.

I could stop if I wanted to sleimgruber06's Avatar
    Workin' & Playin' in Beautiful Southern California
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Macaulay
    That's indeed what I mean: lines (and usually a lot of them, but not all at once) appear and disappear as you zoom in and out. It's easy to see when you use Ctrl and hold the mid mouse button down and move the mouse up and down.
    So this would be bad... I am having not lines but objects disappearing in and out while trying this... well looks like its time to upgrade video cards!

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

When I said lines I meant all objects! We are literal around here, aren't we? Of course, it is mostly boys on this forum But we'll take all the women we can get -- gotta have fair representation ya know

I could stop if I wanted to sleimgruber06's Avatar
    Workin' & Playin' in Beautiful Southern California
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Macaulay
    When I said lines I meant all objects! We are literal around here, aren't we? Of course, it is mostly boys on this forum But we'll take all the women we can get -- gotta have fair representation ya know
    Here HERE!

Login to Give a bone

Good Luck on a custom box. Hope this gets to you in time.

My last attempt at building a system was interesting and expensive. That cptr is now just a backup and only lasted about 1-2 years. After my more recent purchase of a Dell workstation 670 from the outlet I evaluated the cost, speed and components. The Dell ( and probably others like HP workstations) are ready to rock. Just check the benchmark on my "out of the box" purchase. 287 seconds for the run. Best at the time ... and probably still best. I see Dell has a 690 workstation now that features room for growth in that it includes dual PCI-E slots for graphics cards and RAM up to 64gb.

I buy into the FX540 and Fire video cards for low end cost and use... But I am runnning dual monitors with revit at 21" vertical and 30" horizontal with dual screen activated. They run dual DVI at 1600x1200 and 2560x1600. Try to obtain that from the lower end cards. Choose your system and cards based on what the guru's are saying and consider where you are going. If you are building for the future dual pci-e is important when using dual monitors. Revit may not currently benefit.. but may some day. Also, rendering is important to me so the dual and quad core processors are awesome. I chose dual xeon dual cores in the dell box. A great match for revit and for rendering in revit. My files for residential are from 28mb to 60mb+. my template is 8mb alone. Opening a project takes a minute. Rebooting the cptr takes less than a minute. And the dual view monitors work great... allowing me to keep open 4 elevations in wireframe and work on three views and a 3d view on the 30" monitor. Note: I purchased the Quadro FX4400 for less than $500 on ebay. There are even better deals if you can wait to upgrade your cards... the 4400 really only helped the use of dual monitors and the quality of 1600x1200 for them. When I benchmarked with the 270 model card that came with the cptr I reached #1 best benchmark.. after replacing it with the 4400 there was no change in benchmark speed.

Most notably, and as referenced all over the Forum.... Dual Core and Quad core processors rule. Some notes are out there about the extreme core duo compared to dual and quad cores. I found the 2x dual cores effective.... so much so that I would move toward 2x quad cores if budget allowed. I would not go the route of boxes that were lighter than a workstation.... workstation pricing... is very good.

on hard drives, I run a 15k SCSI for main processing files and OS with a 10k SATA for storage of files not often used. I believe there is a benefit here but have no facts other than comparing to my old custom box which did not measure up and did result in the 20 minute file openings and freezing occurrences.

With the Dell Workstation .... RAM additions will be available throughout your years of growth in Revit. I currently run 4gb on WinXP Pro. when I monitor the processes... Revit runs as noted by others.... about 20x the file size... so for me 2gb for Revit and 1gb for windows and other open programs is correct. I see room for growth as my file sizes increase by adding ram to 16gb as necessary. The Dell 690 has room to 64gb. Of course... all the RAM is relative to your OS. a 64 bit OS will be necessary and is reasonable for projected future needs... but currently a bit of an issue today.

Costs are important, I could not have achieved the combination of compliments in the Dell Workstation by building them into a custom box without spending $5-6k. Dell outlet offers workstations starting around $600. My system came ready with 2x dual core xeon 2.8 processors and 2gb ram and large high end scsi and sata drives at a reasonble price... about $3100. If I look at my purchase in hindsight... I bought a computer that will live with Revit for about the next 7 years. My custom box lasted 2 years at best. The old saying is ..." you can pay now or you'll pay later."

Lastly, the Dell box has much directed cooling that really helps. it comes with a 750 watt power supply and the box runs quietly and maintains proper cooling. That is much different than my custom built box which was noisy and ran hot.

I could stop if I wanted to robmorfin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Manufacturer - Dell Precision
    CPU - Intel Xeon dual core 5160 3.0GHz
    RAM - 4GB
    Operating System - Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
    Video Card - NVIDIA Quadro FX 550

Previously had a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, 1GB RAM, windows 2000.

I had a file with the site plan, walkways file linked & 10 buildings being linked, all different angles, each building file had from 8 to 20 units linked (12 different unit files) from 2 to 4 stories; This file took with the P4 - 28 minutes to open, with the Xeon: 2 minutes to open the same file.

To open Revit:

P4-more than 5 minutes
    Xeon-15 seconds

I don't think the Graphics Card had anything to do, cause I got the cheap one, I think the CPU and the RAM are the ones helping Revit, I wanted to have 16GB of RAM but that was an additional $16,000.00, so I'll have to wait.

An important note (and I may be wrong), I know everybody hates 64bits (XP & Vista), I bought it 4 months ago and suddenly my USB flash drive and plotter were not compatible, but with 32 bits supposedly you can have only up to 4GB of RAM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit), and with the 64 bits I got I believe you can go up to 32 GB of RAM, which I will do later on, just FYI.

Well, my Revit is finally flying and I can finally work with shadows and rotate views with shadows (if there's too much info it does start to slow down, maybe once I get the 32GB RAM or when 3Dsmax and Maya programmers pass the real time shadowing secret to the Revit programmers it will be fine).
    Last edited by robmorfin; 2007-08-21 at 06:35 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Where can I find the option in the Rendering tab to switch the rendering from single core to multi core? Also im working with Revit 9.1.
    Last edited by grant.doherty; 2007-08-31 at 05:10 PM.

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It's in Settings - Options - tab Rendering and the little checkbox that says Limit rendering to single processor.
    idk if Revit in general supports multi cores but I don't think so.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I think that i have finaly come up with a good system to build.

Intel Dore 2 Duo 3.0ghz E6850
    ASUS Board P5K
    4gb PC6400 DDR2 800mhz
    Fire GL V3400 128mb 256bit
    Power Supply (looking for a good name)

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

I am looking to spec an ideal system for our office for Revit 9.1 and Viz 2008. I am the office IT person, but my knowledge is limited in that I understand most of this thread....but some of it is going over my head. My understanding is that Revit does not utilize dual processors but I know that Viz does. I have tried to parse out the latest info in this thread but I am getting confused. I noticed recommendation for having 2 hard drives, 1 for the OS and 1 for the revit files. Is this recommended for a network environment or just stand-alone?

Could someone share with me the latest, ideal spec for a networked workstation for Revit and Viz? And maybe share the specs for a Revit-only networked workstation?

Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast