See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended desktops for Revit

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Recommended desktops for Revit

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Macaulay
    Chris, what brand is your card?
    It happens to be MSI... Which i find interesting myself as i've had issues with ATI based cards made by MSI.
    Chris Price
    Co-Founder/BIM Manager/Product Designer
    Xrev Pty Ltd

Revit Rants BLOG

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spot
    Scott,

I'm using a 6800GT with the latest nvidia drivers and all is working fine with Open GL and overlay planes on...
    Chris - It sounds like that might be a good card to get.

Have you tested it on large models with shadows turned on while zooming and rotating in a 3D view?

Are 3D rotations smooth and sputter free?

Do any annotation symbols or grid lines disappear or reappear when zooming in and out on complex 2D drawings?

Are lines crisp and clear without any grey or fuzzy edges?

What differences do you notice with OpenGL turned off?

Are you using the MSI drivers or the Nvidia Drivers?

What components make up the rest of your system?

Thanks very much,

Scott

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

And I've had problems with nVidia-based MSI cards. Which goes to show that eating crow is just something you can expect to do in this life.

Login to Give a bone

What's a little disconcerting about all this, and becoming increasingly clear to me, is that entire lines of graphics cards have been written off based on very little information. That's not to say that there aren't specific cards that are legitimately a problem. Graphics cards have always been one of the more tricky aspects of any system, and most people really don't have very much experience in dealing with hardware and drivers... so a bad experience is easily translated into being written off as bad hardware.

Chris is using six-month old drivers (71.84). He's indicated they're working fine. Someone else could be using the same card with any driver between then and the current one (78.01 at the time of this post) and be getting different results.

Revit may be overly sensative to these nuances - but I'm starting to wonder how many cards just flat-out don't work under any circumstances, and how many cards just need a little more expert attention than they are receiving.

Login to Give a bone

To get on the "not recommended" list I would have to have seen three or more cards of a certain brand that did not work. Plus people reporting to the cards-that-don't-work thread allows a little more information to be disseminated before we scratch the brand from the list.

It's a pity video cards are a hassle, since almost any other hardware item isn't a problem with Revit. I wish that EVERY Revit user would post their video card information so we could have a more comprehensive list of cards that work, or don't.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hopkins
    Have you tested it on large models with shadows turned on while zooming and rotating in a 3D view?
    90MB model zooming and rotating in a 3d View works as expected, i'd say equivalent if not better than my ATI x800 PCI-E. If i were to turn shadows on i'm sure it would die...

Are 3D rotations smooth and sputter free?
    Clean transitions and very little elements turn off when rotating. 25MB model.

Do any annotation symbols or grid lines disappear or reappear when zooming in and out on complex 2D drawings?
    No, and no need to hit F5 when **** is left on the screen as it doesn't happen. I did experience this with the ATI card.

Are lines crisp and clear without any grey or fuzzy edges?
    I'd say crisp and clear, although the BenQ FP937s LCD doesn't have that much clarity so i probably wouldn't notice the difference.

What differences do you notice with OpenGL turned off?
    More elements turn off when rotating than if its on as well as being smoother.

Are you using the MSI drivers or the Nvidia Drivers?
    I'm using the original drivers that came with the card.

What components make up the rest of your system?
    P4 3.2GHz Prescott
    1Gb DDR RAM PC3200
    Intel 915GAGL Mainboard
    80GB WD 8MB Sata HDD
    D-Link DGE-530T Gigabit network card.
    Chris Price
    Co-Founder/BIM Manager/Product Designer
    Xrev Pty Ltd

Revit Rants BLOG

Login to Give a bone

To get on the "not recommended" list I would have to have seen three or more cards of a certain brand that did not work.
    Right - I didn't mean to question your information...
    Plus people reporting to the cards-that-don't-work thread allows a little more information to be disseminated before we scratch the brand from the list.
    This is where it maybe becomes a double-edged sword... freedom of information also sometimes results in bad information.
    It's a pity video cards are a hassle, since almost any other hardware item isn't a problem with Revit. I wish that EVERY Revit user would post their video card information so we could have a more comprehensive list of cards that work, or don't.
    This would be really beneficial - I know this has been attempted in various capacities before. Too often, people try to be helpful by contributing, but they don't know enough about their hardware or drivers for the information to be beneficial.

If we could isolate just the brand and model number, chipset and driver versions and version(s) of Revit - that would be great - I don't think the rest of the the system specs are really necessary. There would only need to be one entry per card. There could be a notes section for any specific issues with certain drivers, hardware, etc. People could add to each card entry over time. I guess I want a wiki for graphics cards that work with Revit. Anyone want to host a wiki?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irusun
    If we could isolate just the brand and model number, chipset and driver versions and version(s) of Revit - that would be great - I don't think the rest of the the system specs are really necessary. There would only need to be one entry per card. There could be a notes section for any specific issues with certain drivers, hardware, etc. People could add to each card entry over time. I guess I want a wiki for graphics cards that work with Revit. Anyone want to host a wiki?
    You're right on here -- this is exactly what we need. Well, the OS might be a factor. But RAM and all the other stuff shouldn't matter!

Login to Give a bone

I've just upgraded my computer sytem and all is working brillantly with Open GL and overlay planes on.

Computer System:
    Intel P4 3.4GHz HT CPU with 2G DDR Ram
    Intel 915 Mainboard
    Quadro nVIDIA FX 540 128Mb PCI-E video card
    Sony SDM-HS94P DVI-D 19" LCD Monitor
    Cheers @blads
    Mac Geek | Building Design Suite 2020 | Semi-Retired Building Designer / CAD-BIM Trainer | Autodesk Certified Professional

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Blads,

What brand is the Quadro card you've got? And what driver version are you using?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast