Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Topography: Needs Improving

I'm not a fan of the topography object at the moment. Maybe I'm not using it right. But I just don't find it very user friendly, and therefore don't use it.

Here's a few suggestions (major overhaul) that I would like to see:

1. This is the big one. Instead of a topo object being a suface, I'd like to see it as a solid (I would call this new object a Topography Solid ). The bottom of the solid is defined by the 'Elevation of poche base' value in the Site Settings. Surfaces are 'old school', solids are the way to go.

2. When you split the surface of the Topo Solid, it doesn't actually split. But rather creates Topography Surface objects. These Topo Surface objects can then have a thickness and material defined. - This would expand on the Subregion tool.

E.g. You create a Topography Solid. You then split the surface of the solid into let's say landscaping and concrete. You could then set the thickness of the concrete to 150mm and the landscaping (grass) to 30mm. When you cut a section through this, it would look great with minimal modeling effort.

The thickness parameter would kind of be like a pad but you would be able to set a constant thickness over an undulating terrain. The Topography Solid and the Topography Surface would all be part of the same major Topography Solid.

3. Surface points that snap to other objects. - Now irrelevant, due to the new Subregion command.

4. Pad objects are/behave as defined in my post at this link: http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/php...578&highlight=

5. I would like for carparking lines to actually follow the contours. The problem with the current method is that the carpark rotates with the contours, thus creating a distorted carpark layout. We actually have to dimension carpark layouts for a building application so I think you can see the problem, what a nightmare.
    Last edited by Chad Smith; 2005-08-02 at 01:12 AM.

Default Re: Topography: Needs Improving

Some good ideas there Chad.

If Revit could could model a topo solid and apply material definations, we're talking solid free form modelling ... right. Nurbs and stuff. Rino like. Gehry buildings. All that jazz.

May be a stretch.

I think solids are a very good idea. This would also help with cut/fill applications. I do however like the ability to define points - don't do away with it. We are working on a project at moment with a lot of grading and the ability to define a few points to set the correct slope is quite nice.

I love the topo tool. I use it on every project because it gives me a very good idea of what is going on outside my building envelope. I have seen too many drawings where the designer assumed that the ground was more or less flat and didn't properly acount for the grade changes around the foundation. It usually gets fixed by the contractor in the field...at a high cost to the client, I'm sure. Taking sections when I have the topo set up allows me to make sure I am really thinking about water intrusion. A lot of our homes are in the flood plain and require either vents or raising above the flood plain. I can see very quickly if it would be easier to add vents and waste the space (no habitable space below) or bring in fill. Just use the Graded Region tool and I get a cut, fill and net cut/fill schedule in seconds.

I would like to see some improvements to some of the tools. I would like the Contour Label to have more flexibility and allow me to manually rotate the labels. I would like the toposurface tool to a be more forgiving without having to manually add and delete so many points. If I import a set of contours generated in autocad, then I should not have a problem with the contours getting crossed up in Revit...at least not 2 years after the merger.

Overall, I am happy. I would like to see more of the civil 3D type of functionality be based on Revit rather than Autocad...much more intuitive to use a 3D program for 3D engineering...at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Giebeler
    I do however like the ability to define points - don't do away with it.
    I agree. The process would involve defining the surface contours of the solid with the level points, and then defining surface areas by sketching in plan, same as you do with roofs, split surface etc.

Greg: Don't get me wrong, the need for a topo tool is very important, but I think the way that Revit does it could be greatly improved.

Chad, my post was not meant to diminish or contradict you. I think the topo tools take some getting used to. But they are very useful to me. I was just writing another post elsewhere about how I liked them but wished that they would give us some more civil capabilities. I was just expressing my thoughts...

Yours wishes are totally valid and I see exactly where you are coming from!

The ability to draw or pick an imported contour line, while in the topo creation sketch mode, would be a nice feature imho.

Yes. I would like to be able to draw contours at times, rather than place points.

100 Club

Exclamation Re: Topography: Needs Improving

I just want to chime in on how important I believe it is for Revit to improve the site tools. To just focus on the building and not provide the same level of modeling for the site is a disaster. As architects, we're responsible all the design from site to building to MEP, etc. We hire consultants to help us with civil, structural, mechanical, etc., but we drive the design and are responsible for the total solution. Frank Lloyd Wright would have been maddened by Revit's lack of decent site tools. We create the design for our sites and tell our engineers to take it from there. Using 2d linework to do it is a shame and a lack of features on Revit's side.

We shouldn't be using work-arounds (patches for something that doesn't work right) and using floors, etc. for site work. Construction content that is common to site work should be separate families in Revit (roads, curbs, sidewalks, site utilities, etc.).

I love Revit from the building skin in, but at this point I'm very disappointed in the weak site content and tools. Please focus on this and bring extend the BIM to the property lines and throughout our designs.

All AUGI, all the time

Steve, I couldn't have said it better myself. Site tools need to be more robust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast