Thread: Selecting smaller viewports within larger viewports

ACAD Wish List Administration

Default Selecting smaller viewports within larger viewports

Summary: Would be nice to be able to click into smaller viewport that is overlapping the larger viewports.

Description: It would be nice to have the ability to select smaller viewport within larger viewports. I know that you can toggle to each viewport. But it would be nice to be able to click into smaller viewport that is overlapping the larger viewports. When trying to click on the smaller viewport, the larger one over powers the smaller one.

How Used: The way that I would use this wish is to have more control over selecting smaller viewports within larger viewports.

Feature Affinity: Layouts

Submitted By: Brad Crouse on September 20, 2005

Default Re: Selecting smaller viewports within larger viewports

Hi Brad

Can you please explain what exactly is wrong with using Ctrl+R to toggle through Floating Viewports.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi Brad

Can you please explain what exactly is wrong with using Ctrl+R to toggle through Floating Viewports.

Mike
    Mike,

I am not saying it is wrong to use Ctrl+R to toggle through Floating Viewports. Users may want another alternative then using a ctrl + key to get the same result. That may be the preference for you and other AutoCAD users. But there are users out there that use macros and etc. more than the keyboard. Also, companies may have altered the keystroke and the ctrl+R may not work for others.

This is just another idea to allow the user to be more comfortable with using AutoCAD.

Thank you,

Brad

It's also true that most other "CTRL + x" methods have at least one alternative - an "Fx" key or command or dialogue.

100 Club

I would be worried this would create a problem performing edits. What would keep a viewport from changing while edits in a locked viewport if there were underlying entities that needed to be revised.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick.Bushaw
    I would be worried this would create a problem performing edits. What would keep a viewport from changing while edits in a locked viewport if there were underlying entities that needed to be revised.
    Do you mean the Viewport Scale Factor? If the Viewports are locked, there should not be a problem. If the viewport is locked, you can zoom in and out and still keep the viewport scale factor. This will still keep the same characteristics for the viewports. It is just another idea to get to smaller viewport that are placed over the larger ones.

If that is not what you meant. The user should still need to be aware of the underlying entities.

Thank you,

Brad

Hi Brad
    Quote Originally Posted by BCrouse
    Users may want another alternative then using a ctrl + key to get the same result.
    I totally agree, but please remember such an argument holds true for every single command / function found within AutoCAD.

That may be the preference for you and other AutoCAD users.
    It is only my prefenece as it is the option AutoCAD gave me to carry out the task.

But there are users out there that use macros and etc. more than the keyboard.
    I totally agree, and that is where cutomization of AutoCAD comes into play.

Also, companies may have altered the keystroke and the ctrl+R may not work for others.
    Then the company should have offered an alternative, if they haven't then they have failed in their cutomization of AutoCAD (in my humble opinion).

This is just another idea to allow the user to be more comfortable with using AutoCAD.
    I totally appreciate that, and my comments, words are nothing personal against yourself (so please don't take them in such a manner). Maybe it's just me, but I really can't see the point of creating another command / tool that simply copies the behaviour of a command / tool that already exists within AutoCAD; to me the Autodesk "AutoCAD Design Team" valuable time and budget would be so much better spent on creating new commands / tools that offered the AutoCAD user new found functionality (in my humble opinion).

Mike

Thumbs up Re: Selecting smaller viewports within larger viewports

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi Brad
    I totally agree, but please remember such an argument holds true for every single command / function found within AutoCAD.

It is only my prefenece as it is the option AutoCAD gave me to carry out the task.

I totally agree, and that is where cutomization of AutoCAD comes into play.

Then the company should have offered an alternative, if they haven't then they have failed in their cutomization of AutoCAD (in my humble opinion).

I totally appreciate that, and my comments, words are nothing personal against yourself (so please don't take them in such a manner). Maybe it's just me, but I really can't see the point of creating another command / tool that simply copies the behaviour of a command / tool that already exists within AutoCAD; to me the Autodesk "AutoCAD Design Team" valuable time and budget would be so much better spent on creating new commands / tools that offered the AutoCAD user new found functionality (in my humble opinion).

Mike
    Mike,

I have not taken any offense to anything. We both have opionions even if we agree or disagree. AUGI built this Forum for us to talk, learn, teach, trade, share and agree and disagree.

But there is always room for improvement!!

Cheers

Brad

100 Club

Do you mean the Viewport Scale Factor? If the Viewports are locked, there should not be a problem.
    No, I understand that this would not be a problem. My concern would be while making edits to entities in the larger viewports you may want to change something under a smaller viewport. If I understand your request correctly, attempts to select the item would result in an activation of the smaller viewport not the intended action of selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick.Bushaw
    No, I understand that this would not be a problem. My concern would be while making edits to entities in the larger viewports you may want to change something under a smaller viewport. If I understand your request correctly, attempts to select the item would result in an activation of the smaller viewport not the intended action of selection.
    The only entities that could be changed would be in the viewport that you select. Please try this example. Add a viewport that would take up 3/4 of the sheet. Now place a smaller viewport over top of the larger viewport. Now try to activate the smaller viewport by clicking in it and see what happens.

Thank you,

Brad