Thread: Making a tiled or slated roof trim overhang the roof line.

Login to Give a bone

If you need to form the edge of a roof in traditional domestic construction so that tile or slate finishes can oversail fascia and gutter. You can use two hosted sweeps using the roof fascia sweep tool. One fascia will be a standard fascia, the second will be a trim that follws the angle of the roof (angle and dimensions are parametric).

This image shows a completed example.

I have used join geometry to join the roof edge hosted sweep to the roof geometry and it looks quite neat. The gutter and fascia are best added first and then the edge trim as an additional fascia type last, simply because it tends to mask the edge that you will select for the other sweeps.

Using the join geometry tool wil ensure that the extra sweep shows correctly in all views, including the section shown.

The profile family I have used is attached. Thanks to LMSmith at Autodesk for the tweak that made it work!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Making a tiled or slated roof trim overhang the roof line.

You BEAUTY! This has saved me SO MUCH time (at a time when every minute is counting!). Awesome.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJ View Post
    If you need to form the edge of a roof in traditional domestic construction so that tile or slate finishes can oversail fascia and gutter. You can use two hosted sweeps using the roof fascia sweep tool. One fascia will be a standard fascia, the second will be a trim that follws the angle of the roof (angle and dimensions are parametric).

This image shows a completed example.

I have used join geometry to join the roof edge hosted sweep to the roof geometry and it looks quite neat. The gutter and fascia are best added first and then the edge trim as an additional fascia type last, simply because it tends to mask the edge that you will select for the other sweeps.

Using the join geometry tool wil ensure that the extra sweep shows correctly in all views, including the section shown.

The profile family I have used is attached. Thanks to LMSmith at Autodesk for the tweak that made it work!

simple & effective idea!

Login to Give a bone

The way I use is simply make one roof type of everything but the tiles part. Then another roof type of the tiles, therefore allowing sketch perimeter to be different and overhang to result. Process is: make the first roof type, go to section, copy upwards a metre or so, swap types to tile type, edit this sketch to include overhang then drop downwards onto top of other roof. Voila.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for sharing, very helpful advice.