Thread: Plot quality is poor!

Login to Give a bone

Default Plot quality is poor!

Here is my problem: Random plot quality with page setups. Usually everything comes out nice, dark and crisp, but when it is poor is looks almost like there are some over spray, and the black is much duller. Our printer is server based, and only on a few select page setups does it print with poor quality. The kicker is they are setup the with the same exact settings as other page setups, nothing differs. Is this because there are too many true type fonts on one page versus another. It seems that when there is a page which has a lot of TT fonts this becomes a problem. But there has been times, in which there was a whole page dedicated to nothing but notes, in TT font, and it printed fine. What gives ACAD??!? I am stumped, and it making me mad, I am losing valuable plot quality. Also I have installed the SP2 for 2i, which was supposed to fix any TT font plotting errors.

Here is my equipment, ACAD 2000i, HP 1055c plotter. Hedi 7 drivers installed and working. Windows 2000 professional. Intel 2GHz celeron processor, 40Gb Hard drive, 512 DDram, dual video cards for 2 monitors, Logitech mx500 mouse, windows std keyboard. I don't think it is equipment related, gut then again who knows...

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Plot quality is poor!

I have had similar problems using an OCE 9600 or TDS 9600. Happens if the plot files are sent to an OCE 9800 too.
    It's not consistent. It is frustrating. When it concerns text, it seems to occur when using Mtext and if the mtext was copied. Not all the time but sometimes. Quick fix around is to just edit the text or hightlight it and set the font type. Seems to work.
    Somebody may have a better more permanent fix.
    Sometimes I have problems when plotting with screens. Especially the lighter ones. Portions of my screens dissapear. Frustrating when it is a hatch defining a material fill. Contractor assumes nothing is there.
    Change order comes about.
    I have no work around other than to change the screen color or hatch pattern. Or double check the plot configuration on the workstation. Sometimes I have found that even though all the machines are supposed to have the same plot configuration one or two machines will somehow plot things differently. Even after the machine is stripped, and rebuilt.
    So I take those machines and transfer them to accounting or the front desk or some other admin task and far away from cad. I hope you find a fix. i would like to know too. Oh, 2004.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by marklabell
    I don't think it is equipment related, gut then again who knows...
    Hi

From what you described above it could well be drawing related, therefore take a look at the following Technical Document on the Autodesk web site...

ID: TS18055 - PLOT and RENDER commands produce low resolution text when using TrueType® fonts

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

I have tried changing the textqlty variable, and the end result of the plot is the same. I will try to describe what the plot looks like. Example of what has / is happening. I have two layouts, with different information, but they are set up the exact same way, with the exact same pc3 files. But one comes out looking crisp, and sharp, while the other comes out looking like it was plotted using the draft setting. Here is where I begin to get more confused. On our plotter the screen reads "plotting monitor quality" when the good plot comes out, but when the other plot comes out it just reads "plotting". Anyone know of why this would be different?

Login to Give a bone

Here is the link which solved all of my problems, hopefully it helps someone else out there, now I Can rest at night!!!! It comes from the HP website.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ectID=bpp02609

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Plot quality is poor!

Quote Originally Posted by marklabell
    Here is the link which solved all of my problems, hopefully it helps someone else out there, now I Can rest at night!!!! It comes from the HP website.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ectID=bpp02609
    Hi Mark

Is good to hear you found a solution...

Thanks for posting back the solution to your Plotting issue / problem, I am sure others will benefit from such information.

Mike