Thread: Curtain Walls: Creating Patterns

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Curtain Walls: Creating Patterns

Reading a post in the Autodesk ng's about curtain walls reminded me of something about the new curtain wall styles, Exterior Glazing and Storefront. These styles can have predefined patterns, mullions and panels. Since we can swap out panels with other walls, we can also swap out panels with other curtain walls.

Imagine a curtain wall that uses a large 12x6 pattern and large mullions. Also imagine we want a smaller 3x3 pattern with smaller mullions. That's a lot of grids to put in and assign mullions. If you set up two different curtain wall styles and assign the larger to use the smaller as panels you get the final result with a lot less effort. Also if you overide the settings of individual panels you can substitute yet another curtain wall pattern.

The attached is a quick representation of what I'm talking about. Hope it helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2005-09-30 at 06:08 PM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Curtain Walls: Creating Patterns

Steve,

A more elegant, and consistent approach than what is outlined in this thread. Also permits scheduling of vent windows and doors placed this way, correct?

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...hlight=curtain

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Curtain Walls: Creating Patterns

Quote Originally Posted by steve_stafford
    Exterior Glazing and Storefront. These styles can have predefined patterns, mullions and panels.
    um... maybe I'm slow, but I don't see a way to make predefined patters, especially with mullions, and panels? Can you set this in the family-- I don't see the option anywhere, except for a Building Code description which is more cryptic than anything else.. Can you post a screenshot or point me towards a tutorial where you can do this? thanks.

a
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2005-12-03 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Quote code repair

All AUGI, all the time Allen Lacy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

In Help > Curtain Walls >Grid Placement.

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Curtain Walls: Creating Patterns

in those setting described in the help file (which I had read already) there is only the possibility of a simple one or two axis grid, without that much control of more complex layouts.

the previous post made it sound like you could specify say, primary grid lines every 3' (easy enough), then secondary grid lines at 3', 7', and 9'-6" (which you can't do with the settings pointed outin the help file, as that's 3 seperate spacings) PLUS mullion types. that would be a great start.

right now I have to set the 3' primary grid, then add the aforementioned grid lines in by hand in elevation. not to mention the complex mullion pattern. not fun for a multi story building... it almost seems that CAD is faster...

a

ps- it's fully possible that I'm missing something big

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

What version are you using? This is from 8.1 forward

Login to Give a bone

darn-- I'm using 8.0. that alone sounds like it would be worth upgrading. unfortunately, I'm in a school environment, so I don't think I can just upgrade as if it were my computer. but I may try... thanks for the clarification, steve