See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple layouts vs Multiple drawing files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multiple layouts vs Multiple drawing files

Let us muddy the water further. If your company starts moving toward Civil 3D as opposed to LDD, the separate drawing per layout approach will have some hurdles. Unlike LDD that keeps most of the data in external files, Civil 3D keeps everything in the drawing file. Thus an alignment, a surface, profiles or even points are not readily accessible in a different drawing. They are trying to overcome this with data shortcuts, but as with many of the new features found in this program, some "surprises" are occurring with their use. All of this is encouraging many users to combine layouts within the main drawing, saving very often and leaning heavily on a good backup strategy that will allow retrievals several days old.

Login to Give a bone

Ok. Again, this looks like the modules that are being used in civil is governing what happens.
    So something within the civil discipline that affects how different firms approach this.

Uh, and while I was being flip with my last post, I'm only trying to learn and help wherever possible. So I don't think very highly of myself as may have come across. So sorry about that. Maybe if you pm me and let me know.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by glee.94356
    Ok. Again, this looks like the modules that are being used in civil is governing what happens.
    So something within the civil discipline that affects how different firms approach this.

Uh, and while I was being flip with my last post, I'm only trying to learn and help wherever possible. So I don't think very highly of myself as may have come across. So sorry about that. Maybe if you pm me and let me know.
    Actually, you have given a very good analysis of this problem. And truthfully, there is no absolute correct solution. Lance McHatton has provided probably the best compromise for most situations which also happens to be the one I try to use most often. Our projects are small enough that breaking the design into like groups via XREF with a layout for each sheet allows for sufficient sharing of workload. The main design drawing must still be accessed by all which causes some conflicts but if MAP is properly utilized, its multi-user ability can solve most of them. This procedure only breaks down when we have a project in Civil 3D as I previously discussed. Hopefully the data shortcuts will become more reliable to make this solution more viable.

Login to Give a bone

I created the standards for the company I currently work for. Prior to my involvement one dwg file was used for each project without regards to how sheets there were. It was not uncommon to have 50+ layout tabs in a drawing. The first thing that I did was teach everyone how to use x-refs (many didn't know how). The second thing that I did was to make each sheet its own file. Now we are able to assign multiple drafters to a single project when necessary. Since the size of our projects can vary considerably there are often times when only one person is require to complete a project. However, in my opinion, the time you lose by using separate files for each sheet is minimal and the potential benefit far out weighs the potential loss.

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I am working with process flow drawings so each drawing will build upon the last one.........I draw everything in 1 file, all in model space, and then use layouts to generate batch prints. I wouldn't suggest this for other types of work, however, it works best
    for the drawing sets I produce.

Login to Give a bone

The reason AutoCAD gives you so many options is because people and projects vary greatly and what may work well for your situation may not work well for others.
    I personally like multiple drawings files due to the size of my company and the fact that multiple users will work on the same project at the same time.
    There is no right answer for everyone.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Looks as though I'm a little late in getting into the "conversation", but I'm dealing with this dilemma right now.

My department's Inquisition into the use of x'refs and when to use + how much info. gets placed into them also sparked the multi drawing or multi layouts debate. I feel that we need as per the previous message to be flexible - AutoCAD is, so why can't we. Multi drawings keep file sizes down (and I've seen some whoppers), while multi layouts creates some productivity.

I am setting three standards - residential+small commercial (all one CAD file, use multi layouts), medium commercial+agricultural projects (combination of multi layouts and multi files [plus some x'ref issues resolved]) and large commercial+research projects (combination of multi layouts and multi files [and again, some x'ref issues resolved]).

As stated in previous posts, there really isn't one true answer. It is a matter of utilizing the company structure and type of project that will determine the drawing set-up that's why we we are CAD managers, and good ones! I have my department do project start-up meetings, and I hold weekly meetings to discuss all kinds of issues.

Login to Give a bone

How are you determining the size of the small, medium & large projects?
    What drawings are multiple layouts and what are multiple files for each catagory?
    What about text where will it go?

Login to Give a bone

I am working with this exact same issue right now in my office. We are a small firm and there are only two of us who use AutoCAD. We mainly deal in Architecture and Structural plans. We have issues with both methods.

I like creating everything on one model space, then using paper space to create me sheets. AutoCAD does this very well.

My boss likes to create in single sheets. This does allow us to track our revisions easier, and a handful of other things.

Our main concerns are being able to track what has been done with the files, and constancy. We want to be able to keep our old revisions, but this seems to be a space hog when you have to save a dwg with multiple layouts. On the flip side, if we change column spacings on one file, then it does not change it one the corresponding pages.

Xrefs would help solve some of our issues, but we Xref our seals in, and I really don't need someone making the mistake of sending our xreffed seal out.

I have been fighting with this issue ever since college. i believe it is more a personal preference & company size than it is a standard issue. Both have great advantages, and disadvantages.

Is there any merit to doing all your layouts in model space, then just wblocking the layouts out to make the file results you want? Multiple sheets with traceability.

All AUGI, all the time TerribleTim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Just because I can, I'll chime in on this.

We are not a big firm, and there are only a few drafters here. But we use the "one file for each drawing sheet" method. With the power of xref's and the glory that is the SSM, this method is great.

Then, when ever we run into a jam and need multiple team members working on the same project at the same time there is no problem. You can simply divide up the sheets and tackle it quickly.

Even when this is not the situation, the method is still sound. Besides, the foundation has to be the same for every project that moves through your office or you are inviting chaos to reign supreme! Plus, if you use a method that names the files the same as the drawing sheet number or name like we do, it makes things very nice for the team members who are simply reviewing something to locate the right file.

There's my $1.98 ($0.02 with current economic stimulus)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast