Thread: Opening ADT 3.3 files with ACAD 2006

I could stop if I wanted to Haden's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Opening ADT 3.3 files with ACAD 2006

We have previously used ADT 3.3 in our office, but many of the files were just Plain Jane AutoCAD drawings that ended up with proxy objects buried in the original template, which was used for ADT as well as AutoCAD. Now that we have migrated to using mostly Revit in our office, we only have a limited number of projects still in the works from AutoCAD, but they are all just that -- AutoCAD and not ADT drawings. We currently have AutoCAD 2006 installed, NOT ADT 2006, and would like to be able to open these files without getting the proxy information message.

Is there a way to purge out the ADT-based info completely to make these files into purely ACAD 2006 drawing files, or are we stuck with this stuff in those files? My previous attempts to cut and paste data from one drawing into a "cleanly created" ACAD 2006 file have been unsuccessful, but I have yet to spend too much time trying, as I was hoping someone had a surefire solution.

Thank you in advance from anyone who might be able to help.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Opening ADT 3.3 files with ACAD 2006

Hi

Have a browse of the following thread (especially take note of all links found within)...

Proxy Dialog Box Headache

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, Mike, for the prompt response. I'm not sure why my search of the forums didn't pop up that thread.

If I'm reading it right, it sounds like the only method to strip out proxy objects is to backsave to DXF R12, which unfortunately may remove some other stuff as well. I'm hoping it won't mess with inserted images, however, which is what we have the most of now in AutoCAD, since Revit does not play well with inserted scanned images yet.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by hadens
    If I'm reading it right, it sounds like the only method to strip out proxy objects is to backsave to DXF R12, which unfortunately may remove some other stuff as well. I'm hoping it won't mess with inserted images, however, which is what we have the most of now in AutoCAD, since Revit does not play well with inserted scanned images yet.
    Hi

Might be stating the obvious here, but - Run some tests first.

You could also look at creating a selection set of "Proxy" Objects ie.

._QSelect
    or
    SSX
    or

Will help you build such a selection set.

Have a good one, Mike

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

In AutoCAD 2006, the ADT Object Enabler is automatically installed. If you want to remove the ADT elements you can use the -AecExportToAutoCAD command that is included in the ADT Object Enabler in AutoCAD 2006. See command example below.

Command: -AecExportToAutoCAD
    File format: 2004
    Bind xrefs: Yes
    Bind type: Insert
    Filename prefix: ACAD-
    Filename suffix:

Export options [Format/Bind/bind Type/Prefix/Suffix/?] <Enter for filename>:

Export drawing name <C:\Documents and Settings\pagej\Application
    Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2006\R16.2\enu\ACAD-Drawing1.dwg>:

Hope this helps,
    Jon Page
    Autodesk
    Last edited by Glenn Pope; 2005-10-11 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Fixed file address

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by hadens
    Thanks, Mike, for the prompt response. I'm not sure why my search of the forums didn't pop up that thread.

You need not worry about images attached with any of the acad image commands - Image, Imagein, Gifin, etc.. They are not part of the dwg file and converting to R12 format will not lose the references to the images.
    OLE insertion? - I don't know.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jon.page
    In AutoCAD 2006, the ADT Object Enabler is automatically installed. If you want to remove the ADT elements you can use the -AecExportToAutoCAD command that is included in the ADT Object Enabler in AutoCAD 2006.
    Thanks, Jon. I will definitely try that, and I'm glad to hear that the Object Enabler is already installed.