See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to: Pre-define Room Names

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to: Pre-define Room Names

Great Information....but now I have a question.

Steve, in your original post you mentioned that some firms have a parameter that will allow them to have an abbreviated and spelled out version of the room name. How would I go about creating this parameter, I am using Revit 2009 and have attempted to creat one through the room tag but I can not seem to get it to work.

Thanks in advance.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by troeakwj View Post
    ...Steve, in your original post you mentioned that some firms have a parameter that will allow them to have an abbreviated and spelled out version of the room name...
    The "key" is a Shared Parameter. Create a shared parameter called "Abbreviation". Add this parameter to both a tag family and your project. Think of Revit's shared parameter file as a "dictionary", a place to hold definitions. When you make a tag you look up the Abbreviation definition and store it in the tag. Then you do the same in the project. When Revit sees a value in the project assigned to abbreviation, the tag then understands what it means because they share the definition.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Thank you, now that I had that piece of the puzzle it is working great for me.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Dear Steve;
    what about repeating certain room names, because when i use one of them , it deleted from the selection box,

Login to Give a bone

Once an "unplaced" room is actually placed, it takes itself off the list. That is expected behavior and there's no way around it really. If you need a number of those same rooms, you just have to make sure to name the newly created ones according to your standard. Using key schedules unfortunately doesn't work for naming (would be nice if it did) since you cannot add shared parameters and thus they cannot be made visible in tags. Also key names cannot be placed in tags, which is very unfortunate. There's an ugly way to sort of make it work by using a built-in parameter (ex: comments) but that's not really elegant and becomes another thing you have to teach your users. The less exceptions, the better!

Login to Give a bone

I'm surprised there's still no enhancements in the recent versions for maintaining Lists, even if they're text file based - The BIM Industry loves standards and when you leave it to the Draftsman to "Fat Finger" Room names on the fly, there will be misspellings. One trick we're doing at the moment, is maintaining a Color Scheme for Room Names in the Template Project. All of the Entry's in the Color Scheme are available in the Room Name field.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12